Menu

Anybody use Prentice Hall Algebra?

I just acquired an older (2001) copy of the student text. But, I am not sure how it compares to others. It looks like I might need some workbooks and a TM which are rather expensive and I am not sure if this program would be beneficial for us. Just trying to weigh the benefits, or see if I just need to go with something else altogether. Aha! Decisions, Decisions! LOL

Any thoughts?

Edited by Pam L.

Maria Miller has a review on her site here. I have an older copy that I picked up recently, as my dd will attend a school this fall that uses PH. The visual layout is awful, as with most modern textbooks (too much color, too much clutter). I suspect that organization of topics may not be optimal. My guess is that there are much better choices out there for a traditional text (Foerster, etc.), but there may be worse choices than PH. Note that there are free on-line video lessons and quizzes.

I'm not familiar with that book, nor do I recall ever seeing it mentioned. One that is well liked here that is published by PH (in recent years anyway) is Foersters.

I am using Lial's Introductory Algebra with my current high school student. I did buy quite a few extras for it--mainly to help me relearn it well enough. You could get by with the student book + student solutions manual.

I have found that if you can get your hands on one, an instructor's solution's manual is far more useful than any teacher's edition. It lets you know about any bad habits your student might be developing (skipping steps etc.).

ETA: The Lial's books are frequently used for adults returning to school after a number of years (They were originally written to be used in community colleges.) and that is why the explanations are so thorough. They do not assume easy access to a teacher or daily lectures.

They are, however, a little challenging to pace. It has nine chapters with 5-8 lessons or so in each. No way should most students even attempt to cover a lesson daily. Just wanted to mention that.

Edited by darlasowders

Our charter school uses PH math texts. My ds is using Lial's Intermediate Algebra, but occasionally I need to refer to the PH text for certain assignments he needs to turn in. I have found that the PH explanations aren't nearly as clear as Lial's. Lial's is detailed enough to be self-teaching. I don't think I could teach strictly from the PH text unless I had a better background in math myself. (oh, and I have access to the teacher's edition & other resources through our school - but it is still hard).

I would go with Lial's or another program that others have easily adopted in their home schools.

Our charter school uses PH math texts. My ds is using Lial's Intermediate Algebra, but occasionally I need to refer to the PH text for certain assignments he needs to turn in. I have found that the PH explanations aren't nearly as clear as Lial's. Lial's is detailed enough to be self-teaching. I don't think I could teach strictly from the PH text unless I had a better background in math myself. (oh, and I have access to the teacher's edition & other resources through our school - but it is still hard).

I would go with Lial's or another program that others have easily adopted in their home schools.

I'm told that this one is not as well-liked. Is your son doing mostly okay with it? I like the way Lial's is laid out and am not sure right now what to do for Algebra 2...