Menu

Apparently community college *can* lead to a selective college

I think it is a matter of being eyes wide open about the possibilities and pitfalls.

It's not only about attending and completing courses. The first student in the NYTimes article is obviously a driven individual, who has a number of peers and professors wanting to see him succeed.

I interviewed a student who was a B-C community college student in intro level courses. He was trying to get accepted to a service academy and didn't realize what a stretch it would be for him.

I think it depends so much on specific situations, the student, courses taken, the community of learners, agreements with 4 year colleges, etc. Some of that can be controlled or at least investigated. But I'm not sure if you can really gauge the tenor of classroom lectures and discussions until you're committed to the course.

The night school grad classes I took with mostly military folks and vets had some intense and insightful discussions. They also tended to be pretty demanding of high level of instruction. The course I took with younger undergrads (including more traditional ed majors) was much more prone to non-attendance, whining, and non-homework completion. (This pattern was also demonstrated in my German courses, where the older students - most of whom had jobs and/or families - outperformed the younger just out of high school students.)

I think part of the focus comes from writing the check to the registrar yourself. Suddenly you are far more invested in milking every bit of benefit out of those class periods and office hours.

(Also, since none of my children will count as disadvantaged or as any sort of minority, I think they will have to work harder to stand out as desirable. Especially as we live in an area with several Super Zips filled with Type A overachievers. JMHO)

It is true that many of students don't graduate and some won't go on, but the community college I work for sends graduates to the in-state "public ivies" and other top-ranked schools every year. It is a steady trickle, so if that's all that we can afford when the time comes, I feel confident that opprotunities will still be available.

I have an uncle who just retired at 70, and he was internationally known in his field of scientific research. He was a community college graduate in California and went all the way through a PhD from UCLA. His parents were divorced and there wasn't enough money for him to go away to school, so he lived at home, worked, and did just fine. His grades went down is his last two years of high school because of the divorce, but community college professors inspired him and encouraged him to go on. And he did.