Menu

Florida science tests contain major scientific errors...

I'm disgusted but not all that surprised. Today I was reading a book about life cycles with my 8 year old, and the author confused the terms chrysalis, cocoon, and pupa. I corrected the text, but that confused my son that the book was not correct. :/

I know it's a somewhat technical difference, and I didn't understand it for years, but ... still. I'm not a published author, either.

The worst part for me is that they are assuming all students are too stupid to know the "incorrect" answers could be correct. They are unwilling to recognize that students might actually know more than what they are taught by the teacher.

For example, my 10 year old (would be in 4th grade) knows all about testing rocks for hardness using a glass plate. It's not like that's difficult information to understand. All a kid has to do is have an interest in rocks and check out a library book to know that.

I'm disgusted but not all that surprised. Today I was reading a book about life cycles with my 8 year old, and the author confused the terms chrysalis, cocoon, and pupa. I corrected the text, but that confused my son that the book was not correct. :/

I know it's a somewhat technical difference, and I didn't understand it for years, but ... still. I'm not a published author, either.

So, does The Very Hungry Caterpillar drive you nuts too?

So, does The Very Hungry Caterpillar drive you nuts too?

Yes, yes it does. Though I give it a small amount of leeway cuz it was written so long ago. ;) But when I taught kindergarten we would read "chrysalis" instead of "cocoon"

Uh oh.... now you have to tell me the cocoon, chrysalis and pupa differences so I don't mess it up! :bigear:

A chrysalis is an actual form the pupa takes while undergoing metamorphosis. It is primarily [exclusively? I'm not 100% sure] used by butterflies.

A cocoon is spun of silk by the caterpillar around itself within which it takes the form of a transforming pupa. Used primarily by moths.

Pupa is the stage between caterpillar [larva] and butterfly/moth [adult] during which the organism is undergoing metamorphosis.

I told my son it was sorta like the difference between skin and clothes. The butterfly actually forms a hard shelled skin during its pupa stage while the moth puts on a protective outfit.

And I still might not have it exactly right, but I know the book had it wrong! :tongue_smilie: