Menu

Use CHOW in SL Cores B and C or save it for Preparing?

jer2911mom

I am currently using both SL and HOD as I try to figure out which one I want to use long-term. Next year we will hit Core B, which uses CHOW. The next year, we would hit Core C, which also uses CHOW. The following year, we would hit HOD Preparing, which also uses CHOW. I think it is likely we will use HOD through Preparing. Is CHOW worth reading through twice in 3 years? Should I save it for Preparing, which is supposed to be one of HOD's best years, to keep it "fresh"? Should I use something else like SOTW or MOH for Cores B and C? Will I lose the overall scope/impact of Cores B and C if I do that? SOTW is used in Cores G and H, so there's that to consider, too. Has anyone else resolved this for their family?

Thanks,

Kathy

I am currently using both SL and HOD as I try to figure out which one I want to use long-term. Next year we will hit Core B, which uses CHOW. The next year, we would hit Core C, which also uses CHOW. The following year, we would hit HOD Preparing, which also uses CHOW. I think it is likely we will use HOD through Preparing. Is CHOW worth reading through twice in 3 years? Should I save it for Preparing, which is supposed to be one of HOD's best years, to keep it "fresh"? Should I use something else like SOTW or MOH for Cores B and C? Will I lose the overall scope/impact of Cores B and C if I do that? SOTW is used in Cores G and H, so there's that to consider, too. Has anyone else resolved this for their family?

Thanks,

Kathy

We only use SL but I think CHOW is worth reading twice in 3 yrs.

Thanks, I've considered that, but then I would have the issue of SOTW being used again in Cores G and H. I've read some posts from moms who said they wished they hadn't used it earlier, because it ruined the "freshness" of it later. That's my concern with CHOW. Thanks for the suggestion, though! I haven't completely ruled that out.

Kathy

We used CHOW with SL and then re-used it with Preparing with no break in-between. When we got to the Middle Ages in Core 2 (Core C) I added in SOTW 2. I also added in SOTW 3 but I think we ended up skipping some chapters because we were getting bogged down. It worked out great and we enjoyed going through CHOW again with Preparing. I went down alot of rabbit trails while using it with SL but tried to stay focused with Preparing. It was nice to cover it at a quicker pace and the way that HOD coordinates the other books with it is very, very good. I'm glad we added in SOTW. We are now listening to SOTW 3 on audio and my oldest son, though he remembers most of it, is enjoying it and has a whole different perspective now. We haven't had a problem with "freshness" but I can understand how some may. It's really easiest to just use SL as it is written and then repeat CHOW later on with Preparing if you want to.

Edited by Donna T.

I think it would be difficult to do SL Core B or Core C without CHOW, or without substituting SOTW, because not all of the Read Alouds pertain directly to the history. The UBWH doesn't cover everything, and I really felt like CHOW was the "meat" of the history, what pulled everything together, if that makes sense.

My kids wouldn't have had any issues re-using CHOW with a different program if we had chosen to do that. They enjoyed CHOW.