Menu

Lightning Lit - I don't like it! Help me find something else? Or just great books?

My daughter is near the end of LL7. She is doing the full year during her 2nd semester following CLE reading 7 in 1rst semester.

It is sooo not much of anything. I like the books,short story and poetry suggestions - but the literary terms are sooo basic and the writing instruction in negligible. I don't think I'll get LL8 for next year. What else is there though. CLE may be anthologies but the instruction is top notch, nothing else compares at all.

What else is there to use for literary analysis? We will continue with WWS for writing. I would like something to work with reading the great books that correspond with our history time period.

I bought several great books to read next year:

Beowulf - new verse translation

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight - new verse translation

Song of Roland

Divine Comedy

Augustine Confessions

Canterbury Tales - new verse translation

This is more than enough with the following right?

Spark Notes

Veritas Omnibus - 2 volumes and pick and choose works

Progeny Press - does this cover literary analysis or worldview/bible verses?

I am getting Jane Ervin's Reading Comprehension in Varied Subject Matter books for SAT CR practice.

I skipped the LL7 because I knew it was pretty "light" from reading other posts. We are going to use LL8 for 7th grade, and you might want to check out the TOC and old posts before you give up on LL. LL8 picks up quite a bit from LL7.

Having said that, the Lord of the Rings I've heard good things about, and also a lot of people seem to use the Figuratively Speaking (?) book. As well, I've heard great things about IEW's Teaching the Classics & Windows to the World for literary analysis. But that might be too advanced (most people seem to use it in high school).

Good luck in whatever you decide. I've driven myself batty trying to narrow down writing for 7th & 8th grade and we're using a different writing program in addition to LL b/c LL does not teach *how* to write, but it gives assignments on what to write about (if that makes sense?).

Paula

I skipped the LL7 because I knew it was pretty "light" from reading other posts. We are going to use LL8 for 7th grade, and you might want to check out the TOC and old posts before you give up on LL. LL8 picks up quite a bit from LL7.

Having said that, the Lord of the Rings I've heard good things about, and also a lot of people seem to use the Figuratively Speaking (?) book. As well, I've heard great things about IEW's Teaching the Classics & Windows to the World for literary analysis. But that might be too advanced (most people seem to use it in high school).

Good luck in whatever you decide. I've driven myself batty trying to narrow down writing for 7th & 8th grade and we're using a different writing program in addition to LL b/c LL does not teach *how* to write, but it gives assignments on what to write about (if that makes sense?).

Paula

We're actually planning to put her in an outside "learning to write" class this coming year but we are doing LL8 for 7th grade literature (just finished LL7). I agree that LL doesn't actually teach composition (despite my initial hopes) and I've realized that I don't do a great job on my own.

You could check out Excellence in Literature but it doesn't offer any writing instruction either. It assumes you know how to write or are learning that separately as does LL. EIL does offer samples of each style of paper that they use though and I like their writing assignments much better than those in LL.

We use LL as a gentle intro for 7th & 8th but are switching to EIL for high school.