Menu

Can Miquon stand alone?

Well the title says it all! Everyone on this board seems to use multiple math programs so I was wondering if Miquon is only a 'supplement' or a stand alone program. I am interested for 1st grade. I was planning on MUS but keep second guessing this choice. DD has had no real math program for K.

We started out with Singapore Earlybird but we cut it out after baby was born a couple months ago. My days are full and I figured reading and handwriting needed to take first place. I just started her on IXL but probably won't go beyond our one month subscription. I have to sit next to her because she doesn't have the computer skills to do it totally independent (so disappointing-I was hoping for something totally independent right now).

I really don't know what I am doing with math so I need it spelled out for me!

I started Miquon after a rough start with Saxon. I thought that Saxon would work for me since it's so scripted and I am more nervous about teaching math than any other subject. It just flopped here for us though.

So upon numerous recommendations I finally picked up some Miquon books and some c-rods. C-rods are so simple and yet so amazing.

Miquon did take some time to understand for me. It's different than other curriculua. I eventually added in SM because I wanted to have something a bit more "open and closed" (for lack of better phrase) but I didn't want to give up on Miquon because the self-discovery is POWERFUL. So I'm one of those folks juggling two math programs. I find they compliment themselves VERY nicely though and am really pleased with it.

I've used it on its own for my youngest. I really liked it and would have no problem using it as a stand-alone.

It ramped up in difficulty a little too quickly for ds, so we switched back to SM so he could tread water for a little while. At that point, he decided he liked SM better so that's what he's currently using. I may switch him back to Miquon when he gets done with SM 1B, but I don't like to use 2 programs simultaneously for one child.

Eta: Miquon will not be totally independent--I don't think anything will at this level. Ds liked to do quite a bit of it by himself, but I still needed to take the time to instruct him and provide support.

Edited by bonniebeth4

Eta: Miquon will not be totally independent--I don't think anything will at this level. Ds liked to do quite a bit of it by himself, but I still needed to take the time to instruct him and provide support.

Sorry I wasn't clear on that-I don't expect her to be independent on math work but I thought she could be independent using the computer program because I just have her doing review work right now. I do expect to have to teach her new skills in math.

Thanks for the replies so far. It is helpful to hear what others have to say who have BTDT.

I would easily let Miquon stand alone. They do cover some advanced concepts in a real / hands-on way. But I wouldn't call it "spelled out" for the teacher - you have to prepare and juggle manuals. The first grade diary is great, and the list of math lab materials (many DIY) to acquire.

MEP is more spelled out than Miquon is IMHO, though it requires a teacher. If I needed independent, I'd do Math Mammoth - you can read the worksheets with the child (no teacher book, step by step) and then just hover nearby to help / redirect.