Menu

Middle child, having trouble choosing curriculum

My 16 yr old DD, is sandwiched between older brother who everything academic comes easy to...got tuition + stipend at local university, math whiz. And, younger sister, vivacious, school comes easy to, started piano & caught up to DD in 2 years. My 16 yr old feels like she doesn't excel at anything, and that nothing comes easy to her. Cousin her same age is a track star.

She works very hard & her coop teachers love her because she always does her work.

We're having a hard time finding curriculum for her 11/12th grade years. She bristles at the mention of AP/testing required subjects. I think she's worried about letting us down, not measuring up to older brother.

I don't know what to do, how to help her! She's amazing with young children & volunteers. I've been working on setting up an internship type one day a week working in the children's ministry program at church.

I'm thinking MFW, US History. She'll have the option of the Clep tests. Just wondering if anyone has any BTDT suggestions.

Watching the tears drip out of her big eyes last night, my heart is breaking for her.

It is my understanding we don't have dual credit here. Rural, state university is our town, and after she takes the SAT, she could register for classes, but at full cost. Anyone think that would be a good route?

We were also in the position of having to pay full fare for (community) college classes that my daughter took during her last two years of high school. For my daughter it proved to be a good choice. I would try to research (as much as possible) the quality of the instructors and the content of the classes that your daughter might be interested in.

Regards,

Kareni

I'm thinking MFW, US History. She'll have the option of the Clep tests. Just wondering if anyone has any BTDT suggestions.

Watching the tears drip out of her big eyes last night, my heart is breaking for her.

I like the idea of some college classes - if you feel sure she'll succeed. Being a diligent worker (bless her heart) will help, but some classes may assume a level of maturity that not al high schoolers have reached.

As for MFW, I haven't used US1 yet, but I ca say that there's something in MFW that gets kids thinking about the whole picture, rather than just their grade in a history class. I mean, the Bible credit is earned with fully the same amount of work and depth as the history credit. The worldview study that is Bible in US1 could let a student shine even without easily memorizing the history details. I wonder if it would give her a different way of looking at education? Of course all teens are different, but just a thought.

Julie

Hi Sixglides :)

My 2nd got 350 points lower on her SAT, after ds who did fairly well and got almost a full ride.... I wouldn't get curriculum too hard until your dd says what you are doing is too easy. Readiness for harder classes happens w/each kid at a different time, for us it was senior year where things really came together for dd. You will know when you see it. College classes move twice as fast, and can be quickly overwhelming. You need to see speed at home, not struggle, in upper level classes, before they are ready for college classes. Especially since you have to use the four-year, the classes will be harder than at cc. I struggled w/putting oldest at 4-yr. local univ. during high school (where he is about to graduate from), but the full time student as a freshman prices were literally half the cost, so I chose to concentrate on getting him ready for college in senior year.

There will be something your dd will excel at at some point (or maybe there is already). Maybe she is creative (I have two, and they aren't as academic, it just is that way). Maybe she plays a musical instrument well, or has other talents. All kids are unique, and can't do all things well. I'm sorry she feels less special, but it isn't so!!!

I would encourage her to pursue any of her interests. There's nothing like finding something you love to do and working at it and improving, to help self esteem. I'd also remind her that there's nothing wrong with having to work at academics. Actually, her ability to work through things she finds difficult will help her in college, or whatever she decides to do. There are many who are brilliant but unable or unwilling to work hard. True effort is as commendable, and even more so, as achievement which comes easily. There are many on here who have shared about their student who struggled in high school yet did great in college.