Menu

Good book list for American lit for Junior

My daughter will be 11th grade next year. She will be doing American government and econ for history requirement. I'd like her literature to be American literature. Any great lists you can tell me about. I've looked at Sonlight catalogue for what they do but boy do they have alot to read. Just trying to determine what is enough. Help?

My daughter will be 11th grade next year. She will be doing American government and econ for history requirement. I'd like her literature to be American literature. Any great lists you can tell me about. I've looked at Sonlight catalogue for what they do but boy do they have alot to read. Just trying to determine what is enough. Help?

When I start worrying about "enough," I often go back to the WTM and read their recommendations. Their lists do not separate out American lit, of course, but I've been known to go through the lists for more than one historical period and pick out the titles that align with what I want to do for history that year.

As I recall, the WTM says that eight books is "minimum," 12 is "better" and 18 is "stellar."

This year, my ninth grader has read / will read 12 full-length works and a few excerpts and shorter pieces. My list for him for next year has 17 full-length works and some short stories.

This year, my ninth grader has read / will read 12 full-length works and a few excerpts and shorter pieces. My list for him for next year has 17 full-length works and some short stories.

OK -- I can maybe see 17 "inputs" for a literature class.... but I'm having problems imagining that many "outputs" -- tests, papers, and/or projects for each book...

I suppose you can combine. Read 2 or 3 pieces, then have an assignment to compare/contrast them rather than analyzing each one separately? How many "outputs" do you plan to require with that long reading list?

OK -- I can maybe see 17 "inputs" for a literature class.... but I'm having problems imagining that many "outputs" -- tests, papers, and/or projects for each book...

I suppose you can combine. Read 2 or 3 pieces, then have an assignment to compare/contrast them rather than analyzing each one separately? How many "outputs" do you plan to require with that long reading list?

In the second half of this year, he's been writing a brief (five paragraphs) report about each book he reads. Next year, the plan is to have him dig in a bit more and do more analysis.

So, yes, I do plan to have him do some kind of output about each book.

For what it's worth, I should mention that most of the books on next year's list are modern and shouldn't be especially challenging reads.

When I start worrying about "enough," I often go back to the WTM and read their recommendations. Their lists do not separate out American lit, of course, but I've been known to go through the lists for more than one historical period and pick out the titles that align with what I want to do for history that year.

As I recall, the WTM says that eight books is "minimum," 12 is "better" and 18 is "stellar."

Thank you. That was helpful. I had forgotten about WTM recommendations. 18 is doable. She loves to read. I think Sonlight had 27!

Thank you. That was helpful. I had forgotten about WTM recommendations. 18 is doable. She loves to read. I think Sonlight had 27!

But SL has some very light reads that are upper elementary or Jr. High level and can be completed in just a few hours included in that 27. They are not all high school level heavy reading. Some people really enjoy the breaks that the light reads offer. Others would prefer to skip them. It is a personal preference.

My American lit list would include:

The Scarlet Letter

The Crucible ( could read it with Puritans or w/1950's)

Poe short stories and poetry

O Henry short stories

Red Badge of Courage

Huckleberry Finn

Jack London short stories

Great Gatsby

Our Town

To Kill a Mockinbird

Farenheit 451

You should probably have Steinbeck, but I can't stand him. Grapes or Wrath or Of Mice and Men is common. I chose The Pearl...still depressing.

Poetry with Emily Dickinson, Frost as well as short stories from various authors would round it out.

I have the Crucible and Our Town as plays and their many other choices: Glass Menagerie, Streetcar Names Desire, etc I like plays because we can watch them in one or two days, discussing as we go. Then they can write a paper on it. Plays are meant to be watched.

For Government choices I might choose Animal Farm ( not American), Farenheit 451, All the King's Men

thanks! Oh, I agree. I hate Steinbeck. I read mice and men and threw it away it was so depressing....left you empty inside. Great list! Thanks