Menu

is there anything non Christian like Rod and Staff spelling?

justLisa

Mark spelling as something that just doesn't get done. We've done some of AAS, and How to TEach Spelling, but I really need a workbook. For some reason HTTS is just like drudgery here. The nonsense syllables annoy us all. I know I should be able to, but I just can't get to AAS and I have accepted it.

I don't want to be dictating bible scripture at all, but I could accept some Christian tone. How religious IS it?

Is there not one? I tried to look up samples, and I don't see very many scriptures inside. Is it like every lesson has mostly biblical fill in the blanks and such? It's like THE only workbook-y type spelling curriculum I see that is based on spelling rules, but still mostly independent.

I don't think it uses scripture. There are religious words in the spelling lists sometimes, but not a huge amount. Some exercises will have religion in them, but it's not Bible verses.

You can look at the sample words and exercises for each level to see what you think. The samples are representative of what it's like.

I'm using A&P now, but I still use R&S for independent work. It's certainly nice for that!

Were you looking at the samples at this site? I do think it would be hard to completely separate the religion out of R&S books. Yes, the majority of the spelling exercises are loaded with Biblical/moral content. The rest is about farming...;)

ETA: My opinion is based on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade books (which I have); I haven't personally seen all the others, just samples.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

Mark spelling as something that just doesn't get done. We've done some of AAS, and How to TEach Spelling, but I really need a workbook. For some reason HTTS is just like drudgery here. The nonsense syllables annoy us all. I know I should be able to, but I just can't get to AAS and I have accepted it.

Just a question, are you using the How to Spell workbooks w/ HTTS? We are doing HTTS along w/ the workbooks, so my dc are able to work independently about 75% of the time, which is a big plus in my book. We don't do any work w/ nonsense syllables. I don't even think those have come up in the workbooks.