Menu

Baking with sprouted wheat flour?

I've been grinding my own wheat and baking bread for years, but just started trying to use sprouted wheat flour in my bread recipe and am not having good results. . .The first time, I followed my regular wheat bread recipe (which uses almost a 50/50 whole wheat/white flour) and it was a disaster. Extremely gummy and sticky (tasted good - the kids ate a bunch of it anyway, but it wasn't like you could slice it and use it for toast). Today, I decreased the liquid and added more white flour during kneading, trying to make a drier dough, but the results are still gummy. It's not nearly as bad (and may be better after it cools - I had to cut a piece and see :)), but are there some tricks to using sprouted wheat? I did Google it but didn't find anything too helpful.

Well, I Googled some more and found something about the increased enzyme activity creating the gummy texture that wasn't quite done no matter how long you baked it. And some suggestions to bake it as hot as possible to stop that. I put the rest of my flour in the oven at 250F for a bit to see if that will work, but would still love any input :) The bread was still terribly gummy when it was cooled and although dh and the kids were loving the taste of it, it really can't be classified as bread. . .