Menu

Math Input Needed: Pre-calculus I think

I need help thinking out what to do with my oldest and math next year.

While both dh and I did some math in college neither of us continued with math in any way and although we’ve kept up with his work, we aren’t really familiar enough with what would be an appropriate course of study. At this point, he will need to use mostly materials that he can self study or I can hook him up with online resources that will help him ask questions.

I do not consider him a math oriented child, but he has done well in math and has not struggled with it. But he shows no outside interest in it or any creativity in his dealings with math. He is a ninth grader this year.

He has finished all of New Elementary Math from Singapore except 4B which is review. He is currently working through Discovering Mathematics Additional Math which I believe to be a mix of pre-calculus, trig, and calculus itself. If it helps they have a detailed scope and sequence here: http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/SSSecMath2008.pdf We did the first four columns and the last column.

They also list it this way:

Secondary 1: pre-algebra, some algebra 1 and geometry

Secondary 2: algebra 1 and geometry

Secondary 3: some algebra 2, geometry, some trigonometry

Secondary 4: some advanced topics and review

Additional Mathematics: first half is mostly pre-calculus including trigonometry, second half is mostly calculus.

Last year when we finished up NEM 3B much earlier than I expected I had him work through http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Store/viewitem.php?item=ps:aops1 It took him about 2 ½ months to work through this book. It is not a math curriculum.

However in my thinking he is a freshman. He won’t be going to college a year early and moving right into calculus now just seems like a rush. (Maybe doubly so since next year we tackle what I consider the most grueling of lit years in Tapestry of Grace.) If he was more STEM oriented I’d go forward at a higher level, but he’s not.

So I’m thinking pre-calculus this year.

I especially looking at Art of Problem Solving, but have also looked at Derek Owens. However, I am open to other possibilities, but I want to make sure that whatever I go with it will be challenging.

If you are considering AoPS, I can give that a high recommendation. DD is just finishing the precalculus text. It contains a lot of material that is not normally taught in precalc, and the trig that is goes into a lot more depth. If you are looking for challenging (and your son sounds very advanced in math) , this might be a good choice.

This is pure curiosity -- have you considered the next level of Singapore? Apparently they have " college " level pre. calculus and calculus. By this they mean 16 to 18 year old. We are at approximately the same place as you. Dd13 is finishing NEM and doing LOF calculus. I just found some higher Singapore courses by googling. Didn't mark them. Sorry! Anyway now I am even more confused! We have really enjoyed Singapore!

This is pure curiosity -- have you considered the next level of Singapore? Apparently they have " college " level pre. calculus and calculus. By this they mean 16 to 18 year old. We are at approximately the same place as you. Dd13 is finishing NEM and doing LOF calculus. I just found some higher Singapore courses by googling. Didn't mark them. Sorry! Anyway now I am even more confused! We have really enjoyed Singapore!

I would have considered this but the college math series is out of print in the US. I can find it used on Amazon for $161. I use a used book search site and they can't find it all.

If you have links to reasonably priced copies, I would like to see them.

Some things being sold as "Singapore College Mathematics" are the two books written to teachers, those are widely available, but not what I need.

If you are considering AoPS, I can give that a high recommendation. DD is just finishing the precalculus text. It contains a lot of material that is not normally taught in precalc, and the trig that is goes into a lot more depth. If you are looking for challenging (and your son sounds very advanced in math) , this might be a good choice.

Do you use just the book? Or the online course, too? I was thinking just the book this year, but I need to explore more at their website.

Candid

What I was looking at are on a website in Singapore -- I know nothing about the company. I do think I ended up there from a post on this forum but I have no idea whose.

The company is SGBox.com. -- sorry I can't do links. They have 5 different texts at $59.99. That is as far as I have gotten. I am not sure about the answer key and there must be one. Probably fine with just answers not complete worked. Anyway that is what I have found. I wish it was a lot more!

Candid

What I was looking at are on a website in Singapore -- I know nothing about the company. I do think I ended up there from a post on this forum but I have no idea whose.

The company is SGBox.com. -- sorry I can't do links. They have 5 different texts at $59.99. That is as far as I have gotten. I am not sure about the answer key and there must be one. Probably fine with just answers not complete worked. Anyway that is what I have found. I wish it was a lot more!

Thanks for posting! They don't appear to be the text the Singapore Math folks had. I'll have to investigate.