Menu

Math Woes for 13 yr old

Jeana

My daughter just tested Saxon Math 6/5 and TT 7. Much lower than she or I anticipated. She is really discouraged by this and I am at a loss at to what I should do. Can you recommend an online tutor or what curriculum would be best for her. Any suggestions are accepted and appreciated.

Thanks,

JEana

Are you able to look at your dd'd test results and see any pattern(s) of where she had difficulties? For example, did the tests contain material that your dd had not covered previously? Or did she understand the idea and make careless mistakes? The bottom line number might not tell as much as grouping the results into 'subtests,' so to speak.

:iagree: Can you figure out what specific area she needs help with?

If you can identify the problem (Fractions? Decimals? Percent?), try either Keys to .... or Math Mammoth.

If you need just a general program, you might want to look into Lial's Basic College Math. It's a review of elementary math in preparation for an intro algebra class -- and it's especially aimed at teens and young adults, so it's not babyish in any way.

Still... try not to be disheartened. Make a plan -- catch up on elementary arithmetic this summer, start pre-algebra in the fall... aim for Algebra by the following summer or fall. She'll get there!

Thank you for your suggestions. I will look into each of them. I think I will go with BCM for this fall. I might do some of the key to series this summer for fractions. She seems to have forgotten a lot about them. However, as soon as I remind her how to do it she is able to complete the problem with 100%. I guess BCM for 8th grade, pre algerbra for 9th, Geo 10th and Alg. 2 for 11th will be ok. Thanks guys.

Jeana