Menu

What grade to place my son in?

Here, the cutoff is either Aug 31 or Sept 1 (I don't have anyone that close to the line, so I haven't paid close attention). It is very common around here for people to wait to start their June, July, August birthday children until they're 6 (a year later than the cutoff).

My older children are very small for their age, about average maturity, but they're also pretty academically advanced for their age. For us, it didn't make sense at all to hold them back because of size, because quite frankly, my 13 year old is the same size as the average fourth or fifth grader. Academically, he's about halfway through high school, but for things that we're forced to put a grade on (non-academic), he uses the eighth grade label, the appropriate level for his age according to the state guideline.

Definately for him, but for him in the now and in the future. At this point he is still young enough to where it wouldnt' really matter if we had to do it later I could see it having a negative effect on him.

Also if he was placed according to the state of Oregon or public school system, he would be 3rd grade and we are required to do testing in 3rd, 5th, 8th, & 10th here. So that is another factor I have to take into consideration as well.

My husband and I have decided to take some time to pray and think on it. I appreciate all the advice and opinions. Thanks!