Menu

I've been reading Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning by Doug Wilson...

and to tell you the truth, I'm a little discouraged. The section on homeschooling seemed quite negative. Combined with several of my friends recently enrolling their high school aged boys in Christian schools, I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to continue hsing all the way to the end. Right now, there is not a school in town I would even consider sending my kids to. Wilson suggests parents should try to start their own school if this is the case. Can I get your thoughts on this? I would especially love to hear opinions from those who have read this book, and SWB of course:001_smile:! I guess my main fear is that I will not be able to teach all my kids all I want them to learn-with 4 kiddos, someone will always get neglected a little. I want my kids to get a true classical education, which means lots of discussion in the logic and rhetoric stages, and how can I teach Latin if I don't know it? Can they really be successful in these areas by self-learning? We live in an area where most people, other than hsers, don't even know what classical education means, and can't believe anyone would want to study Latin.

I can't wait to hear from ya'll on this!

I read that book a loooonnng time ago; maybe even before I found TWTM. I was pretty irritated with his dismissal of homeschooling, but I realize that's his perspective.

I guess my main fear is that I will not be able to teach all my kids all I want them to learn-with 4 kiddos, someone will always get neglected a little.

And is the counter premise that students will not suffer any neglect as one of 15 or 20 in a classroom? A teacher that must teach to the median and cannot meet the specific needs/interests of each specific child? While Wilson's opinion, as I recall it, may have some merit, it breaks down in several ways. Sure, a classics teacher could do a great job of teaching Latin and a calculus guru would do much better than I at higher math. And classrooms are ready-made for Socratic discussion. But does that mean it cannot be done at home? There are so many resources that can fill the gaps of weak areas in a homeschool and more are developed all the time -- from tutors to (very good) co-ops to dual-enrollment to on-line classes.

In fact, in some areas, one-on-one tutoring has distinct advantages over a classroom. I was just correcting my ds's Alg. I homework today and remembering that my teachers never, ever corrected my homework; at best I got a check-mark for just doing it, never mind whether I understood a bit of it. And do you think any of them required me to fix every missed problem on a test? No way; it was all about a grade, not ensuring that I mastered the material.

My dc have been able to pursue intense geography bee study and debate/speech and other projects because we are homeschooilng. And enrolling your child in a school, even a good private school, doesn't ensure that your child will have a superb teacher for every class. Check your own experience or sample that of your friends and relatives.

Wilson's opinion also speaks only to academics. What about character training? What about control over the schedule? What about development of sibling relationships? What about time to devote to extra-curricula interests because of the efficiency of school (in the early years. ;) )? Or maybe Wilson thinks that schools really are the best place for the social development of a child.

Now, I think many classical schools do a very good job academically (well, they appear to; can't say that I've actually really investigated their students' work). But they don't have a corner on the market.

Kim, I think the best bet is to acknowledge the differences between family-centered learning and classroom learning. Fold in outside classes or book clubs or on-line classes or DVDs or whatever is needed to supplement what you are doing at home. I actually feel that, as a homeschooling family, we have the best of all worlds, because we can pull from so many resources while a school is lock-step.

Visit the websites and authors that will help you build up your homeschooling. Memoria Press is fabulous at this and you'll love sitting down with your (tea, coffee, diet coke) to read their newsletter.

HTH,

Lisa

I remember, when reading Lost Tools that D.W. talked about "division of labor" as a reason for sending your children to school instead of home-schooling. I saw his point, but didn't fully agree with him, and will be home-schooling my first high-schooler this fall. I have four other children, and one more on the way. There just isn't a school around (assuming we could afford it anyway) that is doing what I want to do with my children.

If this is what you want for your children, you CAN do it.

I didn't know any Latin when we started, but there are so many good programs out there, that I was able to teach it, and begin learning it myself. You'll be able to do this as well.

Since Wilson's book has been published, there has been tremendous growth in the number and quality of resources available to homeschoolers. My oldest ds, for example, will be taking an online course through Veritas Press next year.

May I suggest two other books to read or browse through (in addition to SWB's book, of course). They may help you to come up with your own philosophy and plan for classically educating your children:

1) Teaching the Trivium, by Harvey & Laurie Bluedorn

2) The Latin-Centered Curriculm, by Andrew Campbell

Home-schooling all the way through grade 12 is not for everyone, but it can be done, and it can be done well, so be encouraged!

Some of Wilson's dismissal of homeschooling links his ideas about gender and family roles. He has said that he is concerned about older boys spending too much time with their mothers. I put this in the same category with Harvey Bluedorn's statement that only dads should teach logic. :glare:

As Julie in GA said, a lot has changed since Wilson's book came out. Where's a salt shaker smiley when I need one?

It's been awhile since I read that, but I remember feeling that way too. I disagree partly because of my reasons for homeschooling in the first place. I feel that schools as an institution (no matter how Christian, how classical, how rigorous, how wonderful) are flawed "on their face" (isn't there a nice Latin phrase for that - speaking of latin, LOL). The importance of relationship and the importance of the parental relationship is key to me for learning.

As for your specific concerns.... 1) I think you'll find good options for teaching Latin even if you've never had it. 2) You *do* want opportunities for your highschoolers to discuss/present/even debate their ideas with others - this could certainly be accomplished in other ways than wasting their entire day in a "school." Could you form a "book club" with other homeschoolers and their parents? Could you find/begin a debate group? If you really can't get something like that going - do it within your own family. It may not be to Doug Wilson's standard, but if the Lord is calling you to homeschool through highschool, He will bless your efforts.

Just my not so humble (though very inexperienced) .02!

and spent several years in the company of people who bought everything Doug Wilson said hook, line, and sinker. They definitely saw homeschooling as second rate and their school as virtually flawless. Doug Wilson has said plenty more about homeschooling. Go look on his blog or his church's magazine and search the archives. He can't say anything nice about homeschooling without using "but...." and a list of things that would make any homeschooler feel inadequate.

I have since moved to another part of the country and am surrounded by public school "brainiacs" that could compete with this classical school any day of the week. Maybe that will be another post...

Kim,

It may comfort you to know that since he wrote that book, Wilson has softened his position on homeschooling quite a bit. In fact, his own daughter homeschools.

I was a teacher at an ACCS school and once held the very same opinion. I didn't believe that homeschoolers could provide what we could provide in the classroom--ahh, the ignorance and the arrogance. I shudder! Now that I've been homeschooling for several years, it all seems very different to me. It's quite obvious to me now that as a homeschooler, I have many advantages over the classroom. It's not that I can do as well as the classroom in my home, I can do BETTER!

Please don't be discouraged by Wilson. It's not true that the homeschool is inferior to the classroom. If you are a Christian, you may be interested in RC Sproul, JR's book When You Rise UP. This book takes the opposite position from Wilson (although the 2 are friends). Sproul argues that homeschool is the best and only option. It may provide some balance and encouragement for you.