Menu

Apologia Science: which one?

Which "Apologia Exploring Creation with..." text to use:  

1. 1. Which "Apologia Exploring Creation with..." text to use:

• 1. General Science
    • 2. Physical Science
    • 3. Other (use sparingly please, due to greener grass syndrome)

I need to decide on a science text for next year, thus a poll to make this easier for me :001_smile:.

Ds will be in 8th grade next year. He will most probably attend HS for grades 9-12 which starts with a Physical Science class in 9th grade. He has done elementary level physics, chemistry, human body (this year).

for 8th grade, I want to work thru either of the following Apologia texts:

1. Exploring Creation with General Science or

2. Exploring Creation with Physical Science

which would you recommend?

I need to decide on a science text for next year, thus a poll to make this easier for me :001_smile:.

Ds will be in 8th grade next year. He will most probably attend HS for grades 9-12 which starts with a Physical Science class in 9th grade. He has done elementary level physics, chemistry, human body (this year).

for 8th grade, I want to work thru either of the following Apologia texts:

1. Exploring Creation with General Science or

2. Exploring Creation with Physical Science

which would you recommend?

My older guys used both Apologia texts in question, but I'd not recommend either one in the circumstance you described. General Science is simplistic for the average 8th grader, but studying Physical Science now and next year might very well be tedious. Imo you should allow him to immerse himself in good science books and DVDs of his choosing (with some direction on your part), followed by a genuine investigation of sorts. (He could explore why it rains so little, or much, in your area. Study water quality. Investigate energy sources. And so on.) I don't know that there's a good reason for him to slog through a fairly mundane text prior to embarking upon a traditional high school science sequence.

Edited by Colleen

My older guys used both Apologia texts in question, but I'd not recommend either one in the circumstance you described. General Science is simplistic for the average 8th grader, but studying Physical Science now and next year might very well be tedious. Imo you should allow him to immerse himself in good science books and DVDs of his choosing (with some direction on your part), followed by a genuine investigation of sorts. (He could explore why it rains so little, or much, in your area. Study water quality. Investigate energy sources. And so on.) I don't know that there's a good reason for him to slog through a fairly mundane text prior to embarking upon a traditional high school science sequence.

I was hoping to prepare him for the mostly textbook routine. Currently we use a spine and numerous other books/projects for Science. I thought that an actual Science text, instead of a unit study approach, could fill in any needed info.

I voted for General. A whole year of review would certainly put my kids' fire for science out.

I chose General Science-- especially if he will be doing physical science in 9th grade. I would, however, find topical books (at the library) on anything that he may need brushing up on.

I am considering the repeat only because of the possibility that having a familiar subject during the change from homeschool to HS would make the change easier. It would be a class he could do well in.

I have an 8th grader right now. He is currently doing Exploring Creation with Physical Science. It has been a challenge in some areas and it has been a joy in others. Last year in 7th grade, he did General Science. It was very easy. We thought that all the Apologia books would be this good, but we were wrong because this year has been so hard. I am incredibly nervous about next year with Biology. I am shaking in my boots, literally.

I have no idea because in the past I have used different programs for science. I have used Apologia, Christian Liberty Nature Readers, How and Why of Science, Sonlight science, nature studies, etc. I have even allowed my children to study their own topic on science. My sons have studied technology and science through FIRST Lego League robotics competition. I feel that if they picked up a text book now, they would understand just as much as if they had the hands on.

So, personally, I think that whichever you choose it will enhance what your child does for next year.

Oh, one odd thing, in Exploring Creation through Physical Science, he spends a lot of time on the weather. I mean more than half the book is about the weather. The last 4 or 5 chapters are actually devoted to physics. It's weird.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen