Menu

How do I figure out what's ok to skip/gloss over?

Danielle1746

More newbie questions here. First, if it matters, I have two boys, who will be 11 and 8, and a girl, who will be 5.

One of the many things that has drawn me to homeschooling is the flexibility. My kids' knowing that we will be able to really focus on some topics that they enjoy and maybe just give a cursory lesson on other topics that they don't is part of what got them on board. I also keep hearing people say not to stress if you aren't able to finish the curriculum--most teachers in traditional school never finished the whole text book either.

However, how do you know what is ok to skip/gloss over? I know the 3 R's should be covered daily, but if it takes us a little longer to understand or finish a lesson here or there, that could mean we don't finish the whole text "on time" at the end of the year. Do we just plan to work on the 3 R's as long as it takes until we finish the books each year? Or do we skip stuff?

For the non-core subjects (not sure if that's the right term), if my boys want to spend an extra week learning about Rome and the gladiators in history, for example, how do I decide what other history topic can be sacrificed to make up for the extra time on Rome?

Our whole family loves the idea of the flexibility and the ability to dig deeper into topics or subjects that interest us, but I'm more than a little intimidated by it and scared of doing it "wrong".

This forum has been a Godsend for me. I haven't posted much, but I have lurked a lot and learned a ton! Thank you!

Danielle

Another kind of related question:

What do you prefer? Setting a set amount of work in each subject (as in, do lesson 1) and having the kids work until they finish it? Or setting a set amoun of time for each subject and having them get as much done as possible in that amount of time? Or does it depend on the subject?

However, how do you know what is ok to skip/gloss over? I know the 3 R's should be covered daily, but if it takes us a little longer to understand or finish a lesson here or there, that could mean we don't finish the whole text "on time" at the end of the year. Do we just plan to work on the 3 R's as long as it takes until we finish the books each year? Or do we skip stuff?

For the non-core subjects (not sure if that's the right term), if my boys want to spend an extra week learning about Rome and the gladiators in history, for example, how do I decide what other history topic can be sacrificed to make up for the extra time on Rome?

Before high school, I do not feel that there is any material I *must* cover. Except for reading, writing, and math.

I do not think coverage in history and science must be comprehensive or systematic at these ages. I'd much prefer my children to follow their interests, to keep their natural curiosity, to learn to use a variety of resources, and to create a base of knowledge and skills.

In high school we follow a very systematic and rigorous course in history and science, and we will work hard to complete the book.

But in elementary and middle grades I do not sweat it. Who decided that the content of a particular book is the measure of your child's learning anyway?

So, to stay with your example: I would let my kid dwell on Rome as long as he wants, and would move faster through topics that do not resonate with him this much. My son spent extensive time on ancients, enhanced his reading and writing skills, learned to give oral presentations with visuals while immersed in Ancient Greece. Mission accomplished.

Another kind of related question:

What do you prefer? Setting a set amount of work in each subject (as in, do lesson 1) and having the kids work until they finish it? Or setting a set amoun of time for each subject and having them get as much done as possible in that amount of time? Or does it depend on the subject?

At the ages you have, we set a certain time that must be spent on school each day, depending on age. During this time, my kids can work on whatever they want from an assortment of approved resources: science book, literature book, documentaries, research projects... Only math must be done daily. Usually subjects will average out over a few weeks. If it gets too lopsided, I remind that xyz has been neglected and needs to be worked on.

We generally school year around so we just keep going until we are done. Same with daily stuff unless its obvious that I have to stop their work we keep going. Whatever we miss one day can happen the next.

Remember with the history they will see the time period again. We no longer do more then quickly reveiw Egypt. We spent what felt like years on it. They know and dislike it. So you can gloss over something -- for us that is the spine reading only nothing additional if you are trying to get ready for new curriculum.

For math we always do the whole book. So that can mean a delayed finish. But depending on your curriculum you can skip the first 50 pages of the next book. All review and because we may finish a book on Friday and start the new one on Monday, we skip the review bits. This is true for A BEKA and I believe Saxon. Do not skip things in Singapore!

I hope this helps with your planning! Good luck.

I'd skip quickly through whatever the next history topic you run across that makes their eyes glaze over with that vaccant look. You'll know ewhen you've hit upon something they're not interested in.. let their interest decide.

Edited by ssavings

We have set assignments that must be completed, not a set amount of time that must be spent on something schooly. My kids would much rather play and mess around than work and I can't stay on top of them all day. If they have their assignments done, though--I know they have done their work for that day!

I have tried it both ways--this is what works for me. I think you'll just have to pick an approach and try it (many different ways) to see what works for your family!

As for finishing curriculum--we don't skip things in math. My kids just keep working in the same books, even if they are "behind". We are continuing with the same grammar that we didn't finish this year (HAKE 5). But we are skipping and glossing in science this year (Exploration Education--not a hit). History is reading everything, but no activities. So, I'd say, it depends on the subject!

Edited by swainsonshawk
clarity