Menu

Help me decide the length of an assignment

Dd is going to write a research paper. She wrote some reports in upper elementary and middle school, but this is her first real research paper. How long should I require it to be? Should I give a specific number of typed pages or number of words? She is going to write about Ancient Greece's influence on modern America.

Thanks in advance!

If its an intense fact ridden paper 2000 is a piece of cake but if you want something relaxed 1000 should do it. My AP World class considers 1200 to be a light paper than again I hate those assignments sometimes you can say everything in a sentence.

Do you know about how many pages those lengths are? I know that the word processing program will keep a word count, I'm just curious.

I'm having all my kids write a final paper for history this year. Oldest (17y, 11th) is writing 10 pages (or more). Middle (15 y, 9th) is writing 6 pages. Youngest (11y, 6th) is writing 2-3 pages.

Would you have assigned 6 pages to your 9th grader if they've never done a long paper before? I'm thinking I want to increase the length each year, so here's what I'm thinking.

9th- 3-4 pages

10th-5-6 pages

11th- 7-8 pages

12th -9-10 pages

Does this sound like a good way to do it?

Would you have assigned 6 pages to your 9th grader if they've never done a long paper before? I'm thinking I want to increase the length each year, so here's what I'm thinking.

9th- 3-4 pages

10th-5-6 pages

11th- 7-8 pages

12th -9-10 pages

Does this sound like a good way to do it?

She hasn't really done a long paper before. And I may be getting out ahead of her. If we get into it more and she's just not finding enough information, I can shorten it then.

You're plan sounds great. DH is the driving force around here for rigor and length.

OH! and my 11th grader, when I said 10 pages, her reply was something along the lines of "I thought you were going to say 15"!