Menu

Shurley English or Winston Grammar what do you think of these?

MrsMe

Whoever uses these programs, can you tell me what you think of it? I'm looking for older elementary and I'm not sure how either of these work on a day to day basis; how long daily. Also are they on level? Are they spiral or mastery or combo of both? And...

For Winston, I don't understand all the cards.

For Shurley, there's so much there I don't know what would need to be bought?

I am tearing my hair out over grammar. We've used R&S (ACK!), BJU (too $$$ and the color drove us batty and I HATE multiple choice), CLE (currently using but only use about 1/4 of it. The rest is useless), and I just bought CGE, but it's a rough one to read through. A very confusing layout and I don't see how we can move from one to another. It looks like it'll be extremely difficult for that switch. I look at it then I put it away and look at it and put it away .... and.... I just can't. I don't know how to explain it. I'll have to return or sell.

We've used Shurley since the beginning. Dd is now in Shurley 5. It's spiral so it would be easy to jump into without having used lower levels. I use the TM, student book, and jingle cd. The extra practice book has more sentences to label, but the TM provides 3 per day so that's been plenty here. We do grammar 4 days/week because we don't do Shurley writing which is scheduled for day 5. It takes us anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on the lesson and then there are individual practice exercises sometimes. Overall, I have liked it, but it is teacher intensive. Dd loves it, but I worry that she is not really learning the material since the sentences seem formulaic to me. Honestly I think we are switching to KISS next year to deal with "real" sentences to make sure she knows her stuff. HTH.