Menu

Discovering Mathematics: What to buy

After much consternation, I've decided to continue with Singapore for secondary math. We'll use the Discovering Mathematics series, and I'm wondering if (as a fairly mathy person) if there is any reason to buy the teachers' supplements to the book or the workbook. For that matter, given much of level one will be review, do we even need the workbook? Any help is appreciated!

I bought the full set because I'm trying to spread out pre-algebra over 2 years and so DD is doing the workbook. The TM has full worked solutions so I would say that it makes using DM a LOT easier.

The workbook contains some really challenging problems (think of it as the equivalent to the Primary Math Intensive Practice books). The textbook has some hard problems, but I think the workbook ones tend to be more difficult.

I bought the whole shebang, and was glad I did.

The TM is basically the solutions manual. There's no real teaching help, but it has all the fully worked solutions (text just has answers).

The workbook is where the real challenge of the program comes in. The problems in there really crank the whole program up a notch. I didn't have the solutions manual for the workbook because it wasn't out yet. I wish I had - probably need it for those tough problems more than the text. I didn't assign all the problems - skipped Basic Practice for the most part (more on same level as text), but did most of the ones in the other three sections.

I even bought the test book and made tests. That's optional, of course, but I was wanting my dd to start to learn how to study for a test.

Thanks! That's good to know. Honestly, I'll likely skip the TM at this level but get the workbook. We used Challenging Word problems for Singapore Primary Math in addition to the regular text and workbook. He needs very little repetition, but I do want some seriously challenging problems.