Menu

Toddler Help...Please

DD is between 21 and 22 mo. She loves the water, the pool, the ocean, puddles, and she used to love the shower. She has only had a few baths so mostly all she has ever had are showers with me.

I've slowly attempted potty training off and and for several months and she cries if we try to make her sit on the potty with out a diaper. She will sit on it with a diaper. She talks about the potty, she is interested in it and she tells me when she needs a diaper and I think part of the time is telling me when she needs to go to the potty. I can be patient and have always backed off on the potty training, when I see her getting too upset.

Now to the shower, it was like a light switch. One day she loved it the next day she didn't want to go in without a diaper on. She is now not even happy to go in with a diaper and will cry and fuss and try to get out. She runs to the potty, but obviously isn't willing to use it. I think she is afraid of using the bathroom in the shower, but we have never made it a big deal when she was younger and went in the shower. I've tried bribing with candy and even that doesn't get me anywhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions? A bath at this time isn't an option as we are staying in a hotel for awhile and there is only a shower.

I'm sorry. :grouphug: I don't have any advice, just hugs. My 26mo just switched from being impossible to get out of the bath, to refusing to get in. And he'll say he will potty on the toilet, only to get his legs practically over my head when we get near it. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

The sinks in the hotel are too small to put her in, so it really would be a sponge bath. I still don't think she would want her diaper off. I sat here with her for about 15 minutes without a diaper on a played with her to distract her, but as soon as I quit singing or reading or what ever she started saying wanted her diaper on. She didn't fuss the whole time though.