Menu

Greenville SC Area Support Groups & Co-ops

Yes, I've been given tons of websites. I've looked at them all. All the support groups have generic descriptions with the two leading ones being "Christian" and "Inclusive", both of which have limitless meanings, particularly "Christian". I've been asking several places for personal experience of whatever group a person is with...and either nobody online in that area are part of a group or they don't want to share?

I belong to a co-op that meets in Greer. Here's a link to our website:

www.upstatecoop.org

There is general info there, and you can contact our director for more info. I'd also be glad to answer what questions I can. I teach two classes at the high school level; my two younger sons have attended classes the past two years. I don't have any direct experience with elementary level classes.

Thanks, Laura. Sorry if I sounded frustrated...I had literally posted at 5-6 websites.

What faiths make up the group and is there a dominating one or is it pretty evenly mixed? (Look Christian, but what kinds?)

Are there other large families in the group?

[quote name=mommaduck;323294What faiths make up the group and is there a dominating one or is it pretty evenly mixed? (Look Christian' date=' but what kinds?)

Are there other large families in the group?[/quote]

Definitely Christian -- there is a statement of faith that must be signed. It's a pretty basic statement, I think -- not geared to one particular denomination.

Yes, there are several large families. I know of one with 11 children.

HTH

• 2 months later...

Ugh, a statement of faith! Do you think that means Jews are unwelcome, or just that Jewish families would have to put up with some Christian references and put them in context for our child later at home?

Oh, BTW, hi! I'm Smithie (Lydia), just started down this path but I'm pretty sure that we'll be doing Classical homeschooling (as opposed to another homeschool method) for kidnergarten next year.

I run a secular, multiage homeschool coop that meets every Wednesday. Most of the kids are younger, but we have a lot of space to spread out and really try to gear our activities to all levels! Email me at lydia.currie@gmail.com if you'd like to be added to the mailing list!

Lydia,

I'm a teacher at our co-op, but not a member of the board, so I can't speak for them. But it's my understanding that all families must sign the statement of faith, saying that they agree with it. If you would like more info, I can put you in contact with our director.

Thanks for letting me know about your group, but I teach at the co-op on Wednesdays as well. Do you know about the Homeschool Resources Directory that is published locally? You might want to get a listing in there if you're looking for more folks for your group.

Ugh, a statement of faith! Do you think that means Jews are unwelcome, or just that Jewish families would have to put up with some Christian references and put them in context for our child later at home?

Oh, BTW, hi! I'm Smithie (Lydia), just started down this path but I'm pretty sure that we'll be doing Classical homeschooling (as opposed to another homeschool method) for kidnergarten next year.

I run a secular, multiage homeschool coop that meets every Wednesday. Most of the kids are younger, but we have a lot of space to spread out and really try to gear our activities to all levels! Email me at lydia.currie@gmail.com if you'd like to be added to the mailing list!

Thanks for the info, Laura!

Yes, I'd appreciate it if you'd put me in touch with the director. We've had lots of positive experiences with playgroups, etc. where the Christian worldview dominates, and have generally felt accepted and included - and your program website is very enticing! But obviously we wouldn't want to go where we weren't wanted.

Lydia,

The website has links for contacting the board members. Just click on the one for the director and that will hook you up with her.

Thanks for the info, Laura!

Yes, I'd appreciate it if you'd put me in touch with the director. We've had lots of positive experiences with playgroups, etc. where the Christian worldview dominates, and have generally felt accepted and included - and your program website is very enticing! But obviously we wouldn't want to go where we weren't wanted.

• 4 weeks later...

The board of directors met, and decided that No Jews Allowed was the policy they'd like to stick with. You'd think, what with the key role our people play in the Christian version of the End of Days, they'd like us to be well socialized and well educated so we can get on with the work of bringing about peace in the Middle East!

:rant:

(To be fair, this is the first time my children have been excluded from an educational/social opportunity here in Greenville because they are Jewish. I hope it will be the last.)

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, suing wouldn't work, it's a religious group. There is a group online that is for strictly Jewish homeschoolers...no Christians allowed. Totally understandable to prevent proselytising and confusion. Same with those that wish to keep strictly Christian. They wouldn't keep out someone that is ethnically Jewish, but can adhere to their statement of faith, but they would keep out ANYONE that cannot in conscience sign their statement of faith.

Lydia, not all of us Christians believe we need to be out to "convert the Jews and bring about the peace in the mideast". Some of us aren't Dispensationalist and consider the "Left Behind" books to be exactly what they are...FICTION.

It also sounds like your group would be one I would be more interested in joining. The reason is that, in groups with Statements of Faith, I've seen it to be open to variances doctrinally, but exclusive of people that practice things that aren't mainstream (ie, I would dress closer to my Conservative Jewish friend, than I do to the Evangelical down the road). Unfortunately, I just found out that we will be stuck in PA for longer than intended (insert tears...I wanted to go HOME!!!).

Edited by mommaduck