Menu

Artists...to make an "amber" yellow a deeper colour...

We're painting Awana cars...ds's is a traffic light. We have the perfect colour for the actual traffic light, but for the lights inside we need a good colour of amber, that's either deeper or brighter than the traffic light itself.

We're sitting here adding colours to our existing amber colour to deepen it or brighten it, but we are just NOT figuring out what colour it needs to affect it properly.

Help???

Yellow is a primary color so you cannot mix any other colors to get yellow. Amber is more of an orange-yellow, i.e. a yellow with red added. "deepening" it would be adding red, making it more orange. The only way to make it brighter is to add more purer yellow. You could make it a lighter shade of the same amber by adding white.

I put a small drop of red in it and it became orange.

So then I took the orange colour and just used a dab of it and added it to the amber and it made it a muddier amber...enough to have a colour difference between the light and the traffic light (that totally doesn't make sense but I'm not sure what to call the "case" that holds the lights!!!).

Thanks, Ladies!