Menu

SL core G readers/read alouds

Can anyone give me an idea if Sonlight warns you about any books with possibly mature/intense scenes? Are there any books that you thought were inappropriate? I've read a few people had a problem with Mara, but I wasn't sure what the problem was, any help with this?

Thank you.

Alison

Mara has some passionate kisses and some violence, she is whipped almost to death near the end. Both my kids really liked the book though. There was enough espionage/thriller to it to keep ds interested. There was enough personal relationships/emotional tension to keep dd interested. I thought it was a great book myself! However, I would be cautious with it with a sensitive child.

I believe that there are discussions on the SL boards about the content of the books and which ones might be objectionable to some. It is hard to predict what someone might find offensive.

We didn't have issues with any of the Core G books and really liked most of them!

Speaking from our experience with SL through Core E, I recommend reading all the readers before handing them off to your student.

I also recommend at least previewing the read alouds unless you are good at editing on the fly.

The opinions on the SL forums vary A LOT about what content is disturbing/troubling/too mature. So if you are concerned, it would be better for you to pre-read/preview them yourself. There were several instances where I was glad I read them myself and didn't take the word of others...

: )