Menu

Come in here if you've used Calvert!

AimeeM

Looking into it for next year. It appeals to me because if our 10 year old doesn't return to bm school, the Verticy program for dyslexics would be ideal for us. It is offered in our state as a free public option - but I'm not sure we would use that because I'm not sure we would be allowed to opt out of math like you can with the private Calvert option. Expensive choice just to opt out of math ;)... but she is excelling with her current math and I don't really want to screw with that. Lol.

I have searched and found several threads on it, but I'm looking for more current opinions; so please, share yours!

All four of my kids currently use Calvert. Sadly, this is the last year we'll be able to since my oldest will be a high schooler next year and Calvert only goes to 8th. We originally used it back in 2004 when my daughter was in kindergarten. We returned to Calvert in 2010 and we are SO glad we did! The education they are getting is rock solid. We pay for it privately because there isn't an option to do it through a charter in our state (which is kind of funny since Calvert the brick and mortar school is physically located in our state). Plus we go year round and the kids move up as they are ready so it would be a big shift in how we do things to follow a school year. Calvert is expensive, but I think it's worth it just for having it all planned out for me. I about burned myself out completely the year before we went back to Calvert making my own lessons plans. The man who does our annual reviews (aka when we jump through the hoops the state requires) told us last year that Calvert is about 1 1/2 years ahead of our public schools by the middle school years. He had nothing but good things to say about Calvert. In fact, so did the people at the elementary school when Cameron was tested for dyslexia.

Ani is about halfway through 8th grade. She did kindergarten on the "old" program back in 2004 (the new kindergarten is WAY better!). She did 7th grade last year. She's doing Teaching Textbooks Algebra I for math.

Cameron is about a quarter of the way through 4th grade. He has dyslexia, dysgraphia, and short term memory issues. We considered putting him in the Verticy program, but instead decided to hold him back a grade level and put him in second grade, regular Calvert, instead. It turned out to be an excellent decision. He'd be in 4th grade, but 3/4 of the way through, if he was in public school and that's only because he missed the cutoff by 3 days where we were when he would have started kindergarten (VA... I have no idea what the cutoff date is here in MD!). Most of his same-age friends are in 5th grade and he's hoping to eventually "catch up" to them. Since we school year round that's doable. He has completed second and third with Calvert. We do not use Calvert's spelling for him because it just doesn't work for him to do a traditional spelling program. We use Sequential Spelling instead.

Fritz is almost 3/4 of the way through 1st grade. Calvert seems to go a little slow on learning to read. It really takes from kindergarten through second grade to finish the reading lessons. Fritz likes the slowish pace, though, and he's learning to read well. He gets so much practice with each sound that it's really cemented in his mind. He is about 1/4 of the way through second grade math. He just gets math and so he's doing math at a rate of two lessons a day.

Adrian is doing pre-k mostly because he thinks that if his siblings have school then of course so should he. He does school 3 days a week and it's just for 10 or 15 minutes, but he's so pleased to be a Calvert kid, too.

All four of my kids currently use Calvert. Sadly, this is the last year we'll be able to since my oldest will be a high schooler next year and Calvert only goes to 8th. We originally used it back in 2004 when my daughter was in kindergarten. We returned to Calvert in 2010 and we are SO glad we did! The education they are getting is rock solid. We pay for it privately because there isn't an option to do it through a charter in our state (which is kind of funny since Calvert the brick and mortar school is physically located in our state). Plus we go year round and the kids move up as they are ready so it would be a big shift in how we do things to follow a school year. Calvert is expensive, but I think it's worth it just for having it all planned out for me. I about burned myself out completely the year before we went back to Calvert making my own lessons plans. The man who does our annual reviews (aka when we jump through the hoops the state requires) told us last year that Calvert is about 1 1/2 years ahead of our public schools by the middle school years. He had nothing but good things to say about Calvert. In fact, so did the people at the elementary school when Cameron was tested for dyslexia.

Ani is about halfway through 8th grade. She did kindergarten on the "old" program back in 2004 (the new kindergarten is WAY better!). She did 7th grade last year. She's doing Teaching Textbooks Algebra I for math.

Cameron is about a quarter of the way through 4th grade. He has dyslexia, dysgraphia, and short term memory issues. We considered putting him in the Verticy program, but instead decided to hold him back a grade level and put him in second grade, regular Calvert, instead. It turned out to be an excellent decision. He'd be in 4th grade, but 3/4 of the way through, if he was in public school and that's only because he missed the cutoff by 3 days where we were when he would have started kindergarten (VA... I have no idea what the cutoff date is here in MD!). Most of his same-age friends are in 5th grade and he's hoping to eventually "catch up" to them. Since we school year round that's doable. He has completed second and third with Calvert. We do not use Calvert's spelling for him because it just doesn't work for him to do a traditional spelling program. We use Sequential Spelling instead.

Fritz is almost 3/4 of the way through 1st grade. Calvert seems to go a little slow on learning to read. It really takes from kindergarten through second grade to finish the reading lessons. Fritz likes the slowish pace, though, and he's learning to read well. He gets so much practice with each sound that it's really cemented in his mind. He is about 1/4 of the way through second grade math. He just gets math and so he's doing math at a rate of two lessons a day.

Adrian is doing pre-k mostly because he thinks that if his siblings have school then of course so should he. He does school 3 days a week and it's just for 10 or 15 minutes, but he's so pleased to be a Calvert kid, too.

So buying it privately allows you to also dispose of their spelling? That would be a great option for us as we are pleased with our current spelling (Apples and Pears) and math and wouldn't want to switch.

So buying it privately allows you to also dispose of their spelling? That would be a great option for us as we are pleased with our current spelling (Apples and Pears) and math and wouldn't want to switch.

I believe, unless it has changed, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that math is the only opt-out option, as far as money is involved. However, if you wanted to change up the spelling, you always could.

I miss Calvert. My oldest used it for K, but she started reading before she was even halfway through, so we ended up ditching it. She's all across the board academically, so I have to piece things together for her. I keep thinking about using it for my youngest, though. But then I realize that we do too many subjects together as a family. If I could just purchase parts of it, I probably would.

ETA: My 1st-grade teacher sil says that the Orton-Gillingham (I didn't double check that. Hope I got the name correct :D) that Calvert uses in the Verticy is a very solid program.

Edited by Mommy2BeautifulGirls

We used Calvert for two of my children one year. It was the 3rd grade and the 7th grade. It was the easiest year of homeschooling. Truly an open and go curriculum. My children loved it and wanted to do more years with them (just could not afford it at the time). The computer course included was very helpful. It had them working on things that were integrated with what they were studying at the time in science, history, or literature. We did add the extra reading pack and the choices were wonderful, I still have those books. They also have great customer service is you have any questions about teaching the material.

Well I don't think my experience would help you because Verticy is completely different.

But as far as Calvert goes, we liked it and we liked the company and the people. I didn't like the first and secOnd grade (so so much sight reading) and tons and tons of busy work- especially 2nd.

We loved Pre-K, K, and 4th. But sometimes it's a lot of busy work, which I had to tweak (of course) and I think they push writing too much too early. Also the math is the pits.

The literature, spelling, history, geography, and enrichment are all excellent.

PS I don't know why there is a red thumbs down above my post. We like Calvert overall. I wouldn't give it a thumbs down. HTH

Edited by Calming Tea

Well I don't think my experience would help you because Verticy is completely different.

But as far as Calvert goes, we liked it and we liked the company and the people. I didn't like the first and secOnd grade (so so much sight reading) and tons and tons of busy work- especially 2nd.

We loved Pre-K, K, and 4th. But sometimes it's a lot of busy work, which I had to tweak (of course) and I think they push writing too much too early. Also the math is the pits.

The literature, spelling, history, geography, and enrichment are all excellent.

PS I don't know why there is a red thumbs down above my post. We like Calvert overall. I wouldn't give it a thumbs down. HTH

I'm not sure that we would use Verticy because I would prefer (even if I'm out the money for it) to stick with Apples and Pears for spelling and maybe just trudge along for the writing. I would opt out of the math. I am glad to hear a few positive experiences with Calvert! It's comforting. Lol.

Privately, not througha charter, I recommend it. Really it's well rounded, very academically strong, and definitely has a nice classical fłavor because of the heavy emphasis on real literature and writing.

I'm glad to be going back to eclectic this year because my students have personal hobbies which take up so much time, that I like to be able to stack his subjects in a way that fits them. (aka giving my son more time to program and less emphasis on writing for instance.)

and definitely has a nice classical fłavor because of the heavy emphasis on real literature and writing.

May I ask a spin-off question? I've been wondering about the writing because that's an area where I am not a particularly good teacher, and I need a program that is really strong. Does Calvert give lots of good, explicit writing instruction? Or is it just vague, open-ended assignments? Will it teach her more academically oriented writing such as the famous five-paragraph essay, persuasive writing, etc. or does it focus mostly on creative writing and personal narratives? I plan to use Calvert either way, but this may influence my decision about whether or not to use the ATS, and whether or not to supplement with another writing program. Thanks for any help!

DD has done Verticy 3rd, just about to finish Verticy 4th and we have all the materials for 5th here and ready to go. Privately funded and using ATS throughout.

There are various options for a blend of Calvert and Verticy that are not advertised on the website so you may want to talk your requirements through with their customer services. For 5th, we are set up with Calvert 5th core, Verticy 5th math, Verticy Green grammar/composition. DD is finishing the last level of Verticy phonics/spelling now, so we will be using another spelling program for 5th as the standard Calvert spelling is mixed in with the grammar/composition.

I can't speak to the standard Calvert language arts, but the Verticy instruction for grammar/composition is very explicit and focuses on planning and structure rather than creativity. This is DD's problem area, and where I need most help with the teaching.

Most of the Verticy phonics/spelling is geared to reading remediation, so I think you would have no conflict if you kept on with your own program as well as long as it was phonics based.

Privately, not througha charter, I recommend it. Really it's well rounded, very academically strong, and definitely has a nice classical fłavor because of the heavy emphasis on real literature and writing.

I'm glad to be going back to eclectic this year because my students have personal hobbies which take up so much time, that I like to be able to stack his subjects in a way that fits them. (aka giving my son more time to program and less emphasis on writing for instance.)

Do you think it would work well for a family with a heavy STEM focus; and a child who dislikes reading (will never read for fun, although she reads at grade level academically).

We are definitely STEM focused, and the curriculum supports this. Currently DD is running several years ahead of her PS peers in science, despite LDs, and the Calvert math is rigorous too. Technology is woven into the curriculum, and there are lots of on-line elements used.

The reading can be done by the parent, apart from the 'reading' element of language arts, so having a reluctant reader does not cause a problem as long as you are prepared to spend the time reading the texts to your child.

We are definitely STEM focused, and the curriculum supports this. Currently DD is running several years ahead of her PS peers in science, despite LDs, and the Calvert math is rigorous too. Technology is woven into the curriculum, and there are lots of on-line elements used.

The reading can be done by the parent, apart from the 'reading' element of language arts, so having a reluctant reader does not cause a problem as long as you are prepared to spend the time reading the texts to your child.

How does the science program support a STEM focus? I'm curious because the science books look like standard PS texts and I wasn't under the impression you could "move up" in science in this program.

Yes they are standard PS texts, but the Calvert lesson manual, and how you deliver the lesson makes the difference. There are lots of on-line supplements such as Discovery Streaming, and enrichment activities that are in the lesson manual.

There are various options for a blend of Calvert and Verticy that are not advertised on the website so you may want to talk your requirements through with their customer services.

I can't speak to the standard Calvert language arts, but the Verticy instruction for grammar/composition is very explicit and focuses on planning and structure rather than creativity. This is DD's problem area, and where I need most help with the teaching.

I was not aware of this (the part I put in bold) so thanks for mentioning it! When she takes the placement test, will they recommend a blend of the regular program and Verticy if that's what they feel she needs? Or should I ask them about it?

Thanks for the info; this is encouraging.

Verrticy has its own placement test procedure, so if you feel your child may fit under their program, then make sure these are done as well as the Calvert placement. I particularly recall an on-line reading task that DD had to do. Otherwise, just call them or e-mail. Their customer service is great.

They are starting to be much more flexible with tailor-made packages to fit a child who is not all on one level across subjects, but some of the levels are not revised as yet to enable this.

Verrticy has its own placement test procedure, so if you feel your child may fit under their program, then make sure these are done as well as the Calvert placement. I particularly recall an on-line reading task that DD had to do. Otherwise, just call them or e-mail. Their customer service is great.

Thanks! I honestly just don't know if she would need Verticy or not, so I think I will talk to them. She performs pretty much at grade level in language arts, but it definitely seems to be her challenge area to me. She has an almost intuitive understanding of math, but spelling, grammar, mechanics, those things just don't come naturally to her. I'll talk to them and see what they think.

No. The only thing you can change *through Calvert* is math (different level or none at all). The spelling (which is mostly just a workbook) doesn't work for Cameron so we do Sequential Spelling instead. You can use whatever you want different. It doesn't change the cost or what they send you, though. (And if you use the ATS you have to use what they provide.)

Well it depends.

I have a belief that children need plenty of free time, time outdoors, and unstructured play and exercise. So my goal is to limit formal schooling to 3 hours per day including Bible.

Calvert is fairly reasonable in expectations. But not quite what I really want for my kids.

My kids read voraciously on their own, so I have no real need for the required literature (though it is very good.). For your child who doesn't like to read for fun, Calvert might be an excellent fit because you will ensure that she is reading 5-7 excellent works of literature, plus poetry, every year.

I also don't think lots of formal writing needs to be pushed until high school. But Calvert's writing lessons are excellent. We enjoyed them.

As far as Science, I thought it was pretty lame. My son had learned all of it on his own just reading Usborne and DK books. The text was very dry and I much much prefer the structure and tone of Abeka Science. But in grades 6-8 the Science is much better, because it is more topically arranged using Prentice Hall.

I think if you want a STEM focus you will probably want to tweak and supplement Calvert which is definitely more language heavy. I don't recommend Calvert math, but math is kind of individual so you may find you like it. And anyway, you can stick with whatever you currently use if it's working.

Well it depends.

I have a belief that children need plenty of free time, time outdoors, and unstructured play and exercise. So my goal is to limit formal schooling to 3 hours per day including Bible.

Calvert is fairly reasonable in expectations. But not quite what I really want for my kids.

My kids read voraciously on their own, so I have no real need for the required literature (though it is very good.). For your child who doesn't like to read for fun, Calvert might be an excellent fit because you will ensure that she is reading 5-7 excellent works of literature, plus poetry, every year.

I also don't think lots of formal writing needs to be pushed until high school. But Calvert's writing lessons are excellent. We enjoyed them.

As far as Science, I thought it was pretty lame. My son had learned all of it on his own just reading Usborne and DK books. The text was very dry and I much much prefer the structure and tone of Abeka Science. But in grades 6-8 the Science is much better, because it is more topically arranged using Prentice Hall.

I think if you want a STEM focus you will probably want to tweak and supplement Calvert which is definitely more language heavy. I don't recommend Calvert math, but math is kind of individual so you may find you like it. And anyway, you can stick with whatever you currently use if it's working.

We use CLE math with the Key To series and are very happy with it - we would stick with that. No desire to fix what isn't broken. Lol.

For science we use various resources, using Ellen McHenry as our base and core. Given my husband's career field and educational background, we are very STEM focused. I would have no problem supplementing science if need be... hopefully with more Ellen McHenry :D