Menu

OSU Spanish Online?

I think it's been mentioned here quite a lot.... If I can turn up a thread or two I'll post them here.

DS has done Spanish 1 and 2 with them and I've been impressed. It's not knock-your-socks-off fabulous, but it's solid, covers what it needs to, includes reading, writing, listening, and speaking, and he has had good retention.

I especially like that the scheduling is flexible. We have times of the year when there's plenty of time for Spanish, and times when there just isn't. It's no problem. And the fact that he took almost 12 months to get through Spanish 2 :001_huh: (not because it was that hard - because of scheduling issues on our end -- moving 500 miles away, etc.) wasn't a problem for the OSU people.

We're about to start Spanish 3. I've heard it isn't quite as good as 1 & 2, but it looks fine from what I've seen. They cover almost all the grammar you need in the first two years, so the third appears to be much heavier on reading.

ETA: I found a few threads, and I've tagged them, and this one, as "osu spanish" so you should be able to find them by clicking the tag at the bottom of this page.

Edited by KAR120C
added tag...

No experience with OSU but I do recommend La Clase Divertida high school level with Senor Gamache. He offers several levels and meets twice a week (live, online class).

ETA: They use a college text.

Thank you! I had not heard of this and will definitely look into it. We have enjoyed his elementary boxed courses.

I think it's been mentioned here quite a lot.... If I can turn up a thread or two I'll post them here.

DS has done Spanish 1 and 2 with them and I've been impressed. It's not knock-your-socks-off fabulous, but it's solid, covers what it needs to, includes reading, writing, listening, and speaking, and he has had good retention.

I especially like that the scheduling is flexible. We have times of the year when there's plenty of time for Spanish, and times when there just isn't. It's no problem. And the fact that he took almost 12 months to get through Spanish 2 :001_huh: (not because it was that hard - because of scheduling issues on our end -- moving 500 miles away, etc.) wasn't a problem for the OSU people.

We're about to start Spanish 3. I've heard it isn't quite as good as 1 & 2, but it looks fine from what I've seen. They cover almost all the grammar you need in the first two years, so the third appears to be much heavier on reading.

ETA: I found a few threads, and I've tagged them, and this one, as "osu spanish" so you should be able to find them by clicking the tag at the bottom of this page.

Thank you!!! This is so helpful. I really appreciate it.

No experience with OSU but I do recommend La Clase Divertida high school level with Senor Gamache. He offers several levels and meets twice a week (live, online class).

ETA: They use a college text.

Hi,

I'm also in the process of looking for an online Spanish I class for my dd (9th grader) next fall. We are looking into The Potters School, but the times just aren't working for dd's schedule.

Can you tell me a little more about the La Clase Divertida hs class and why you like it? Did your dc get a good amount of conversation time? Do they turn in homework, writing, are there tests, or semester exams?

Thanks so much for responding,

Sangita

Hi,

I'm also in the process of looking for an online Spanish I class for my dd (9th grader) next fall. We are looking into The Potters School, but the times just aren't working for dd's schedule.

Can you tell me a little more about the La Clase Divertida hs class and why you like it? Did your dc get a good amount of conversation time? Do they turn in homework, writing, are there tests, or semester exams?

Thanks so much for responding,

Sangita

The course uses an online classroom. The students get quite a bit of conversation in each class. They always start out reciting "memory work."

They meet twice a week for about an hour and a half. Senor Gamache assigns web-based work which is keyed to the textbook they are using (by this I mean it is produced by the textbook publisher). He also assigns his own homework. They have quizzes and tests - some made up by him and some from the textbook publisher. Tests, quizzes, and non-web based homework needs to be scanned and emailed in.

We get frequent emails from Senor Gamache with assignments, reminders, etc. and sometimes just to wish the students well on a major holiday. He also discusses cultural aspects of the Spanish culture such as bullfighting and music. If there is ever a problem you can call or email. We have been very pleased with the course and dd signed up to take the next in the sequence without hesitation. It costs about $350 for the school year not including the textbook. The text is about another hundred (if I recall) but is used over two years. For the level of involvement that we have had with the teacher, I would say it is a bargain.

Dana,

Thanks SO much for the resopnse about La Clase Divertida - Money is tight right now, so I was surprised to see how expensive the textbook is ($172). Do you know if can be purchased used anywhere?

Also, how do you entire the online classroom? Skype, or WebEx or something else?

Thanks SO much for your help!

Sangita

Dana,

Thanks SO much for the resopnse about La Clase Divertida - Money is tight right now, so I was surprised to see how expensive the textbook is ($172). Do you know if can be purchased used anywhere?

Also, how do you entire the online classroom? Skype, or WebEx or something else?

Thanks SO much for your help!

Sangita

I'm not sure if you can purchase it used because I think you need a code to activate the online portion of the instruction. Not sure about that though. I will ask dd about what online classroom they use. If you want to call Senor Gamache his contact info is on the la clase divertida site and I am sure he would be able to explain how it all works. DD likes his class because 1) it gets done, 2) he tries to make it enjoyable for the kids, and I think he succeeds. After all the money we have wasted on other programs, this one actually works.

This is kind of like comparing apples to oranges, because we use a totally different online program for foreign language, but I just want to say that online foreign language learning really can work! We've taken several foreign languages through an in-state online school (IQ Academy). Contrary to how I was afraid it would go (how can you learn foreign language online!), it went great. My daughters have learned a lot, and my now now-junior -- who has the opportunity to take Spanish 2 at the local high school this year -- is actually ahead of the class. (After doing two years online.)

I'm not sure if you can purchase it used because I think you need a code to activate the online portion of the instruction. Not sure about that though. I will ask dd about what online classroom they use. If you want to call Senor Gamache his contact info is on the la clase divertida site and I am sure he would be able to explain how it all works. DD likes his class because 1) it gets done, 2) he tries to make it enjoyable for the kids, and I think he succeeds. After all the money we have wasted on other programs, this one actually works.

Thank you very much for your help! I'll contact Senor Gamache and ask him. I also have to see if the evening time will work for my dd.. she has soccer practice most evenings .. :-( Hopefully we can make it work.

Thanks again,

Sangita