Menu

what are you doing for logic stage modern history?

We are using The Story of the Middle Ages by Christine Miller as well as selections from Omnibus II. He is also reading a selection of Puffin Classics from TWTM reading list.

Although he has completed the SOTW cycle, we love the audio versions so we will often listen to them again just for fun.

Last year we used KIHW for outlining and maps, a Timeline, SOTW (and a handful of library books) for "reports", and history-related Read-Alouds. I used the SOTW-AG to determine which KIHW to use - so I guess SOTW was really our "spine". We all *really* enjoyed doing it this way - sort of an amalgamation of WTM & SL.

This year, I am hoping to use SOTW differently on weeks when only one chapter is scheduled. First, our week will start on Friday, and we will all read SOTW together and the boys will make lists of names, places, events - things they research at the library. We'll do KIHW & timeline/maps on Monday, then they will have Tues-Thurs for extra reading and report writing.

I don't know if this will work or not, to be honest. I hope it does because I really want my kids using the library for themselves. But, I will miss our history-related read alouds, and the simplicity of always knowing in advance what we'll be doing!

=)

Rhonda