Menu

Further up and Further in (xpost)

I previewed FUFI, but ended up not using it with our DSs (who would have been late middle school ages at that time). FUFI is a unit study, rather than a literature study. Each week includes Bible verses and references to Biblical themes found in the reading of the whichever book is currently being read, which would be used as a Bible study.

There are ideas for hands-on activities for cooking, science, music, art, and history as they connect with the story, but not necessarily weekly/regularly. There are ideas for further research into related topics, which could also turn into short research papers or activities.

I think it would be possible to use FUFI with a co-op; I would guess families would read the books at home, and then you would do the Bible study aspect and one of the suggested activities each week. I don't recall that there was very much in the way of teaching about literary elements or analysis. While it was labeled as for grades 4-8, I estimate the program to be best geared for grades 4-6.

Roar! is a family devotional/Bible study guide for the 7 books. Veritas Press also has a guide that covers all 7 books, with comprehension questions and answers, projects and activities, creative writing assignments, art projects, board games, a recipe for Turkish Delight, studies on the biblical themes found in the series, and a cut-out model of the Dawn Treader. It is listed in their grade 3 materials, but knowing how advanced Veritas materials often are, I'm betting that could be used for grades 3-6...

If you are looking something that is more like a literature guide, you might check out the (Christian) Progeny Press guides for Lion, Witch & Wardrobe (gr. 4-7);Prince Caspian (gr. 5-7); and Magician's Nephew (gr. 5-7). Here is a guide from Harper Collins Publishers. And you may enjoy looking through this website, The Narnia Academy, for ideas. And here is a link to a list of resources.

BEST of luck in deciding what works best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.