Menu

BFSU

Would love some discussion on how people are using this. Any additional resources you can point me to so that using it is easier? My DH is teaching my DD chemistry but I'd like to add in something more foundational. We also read a lot and do nature study but DD adores science so more would be fine.

Ideas?

Well, I originally bought just the e-books of vol. 1 & 2, and I went through volume 1 and listed the lessons I thought she'd need for background before jumping into volume 2. I did buy the hard copy of vol. 2, since we will do all of those lessons, and it is a pain to navigate through the book electronically. That has made it easier. I read through the lesson I plan to do the week before, make sure I have any supplies or resources on hand to do the activities, and put the supplemental reading books on hold at the library. We also have a couple of resource books that I pull in whenever the match up with a BFSU lesson - we review matching chapters from The Magic of Reality and Science Matters. I highlight the things in the book that I want to be sure and discuss, and then when science time comes we just dive in. We've done most of the D thread in Vol. II, and it has been really fun and pretty straightforward. There have been good websites and demos to check out online, and we've read extra books, and we've discussed the concepts and done most of the activities . . . I don't know what else to say, it has been pretty straightforward, especially since I have had the hard copy.

I know that it is pretty intimidating at first, but it's really true that if you just . . . start. . . .doing it, it works out.

This isn't the only science we do, but it is definitely the spine - by covering all 3 volumes by the end of 8th grade, it will be a very thorough background in science, and there is plenty of time for rabbit trails. It's been a great asset to our science learning.

I use it as a guide for discussions for a week or two. I don't sit down and "do science", but I lead our conversations that direction throughout the day. When appropriate, I'll get matching books out of the library or set up experiments that go along with the topic. I think of it more as a "weekly emphasis" than a lesson, per se.

After teaching each lesson of Vol. 1, I make 3 or 4 sentences of copywork for the main principles of the lesson. I use the objectives section to help with this. On a separate day, my kids copy the sentences and draw a picture for each one illustrating the experiment we did or the idea behind the principle. Then they file it in their science binder. I have a tab for each of the four threads.

In addition, I have tabs for Local Trees, Local Flowers, and Local Animals. This goes along with Lesson B-4A which is an ongoing project in which kids learn about the local flora and fauna. We have started with identifying local trees by pressing leaves, taping them onto a piece of paper with packing tape, drawing the tree, finding any nuts it may have, and identifying it using online field guides. This has been a great project.