Menu

7th grade grammar, what are you using?

My rising 7th grader is pretty solid on grammar, she used 4 years of R&S and now a year of CLE. She's fine with another year of CLE, she doesn't like it, just wants to get it done, but I wonder if it's overkill for her now. I'm looking for something that might appeal to her love of reading & writing. She really enjoyed reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves with me. I think she would like something like Killgallon Sentence Composing, but I don't want her basic grammar skills to get rusty either. What are you using?

I think a year of Killgallon makes great sense. You can return to grammar in another form later on for review and reinforcement -- but Killgallon will certainly keep those skills fresh. You could also fit in one of the MCT grammar books (perhaps towards the end of the year after finishing Killgallon for the year) for another creative but challenging skills practice opportunity.

I'm a fan of Stewart English as well. The first book can be used as early as 7th grade.

My 7th grader will use Analytical Grammar. He has done CLE for 2 years and has practiced the skills that are in Season 1. We will use Season 2 and 3 in 7th grade. I am also considering using Killgallon to give him practice writing elegant sentences. We will probably do our "own" writing and might add in WWS2 if it is ready.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama