Menu

Dd CT Scan tomorrow... question

I wrote a long, rambling post but deleted it. Let me just get right to the point.

Basically, my little dd6 is having a CT (head) scan tomorrow afternoon. She has had headaches for a couple of years. They are checking for any "masses" and also for a hereditary malformation that runs in dh's family. My question is: Are they going to need to give her dye? She's already freaked out enough over everything so I'm dreading the thought that we'll have to deal with an I.V. too.

:grouphug: I will say a prayer for your daughter. I know how traumatic the experience was for my little man a few months ago. My ds had a CT scan and he did not need dye. They were looking at a mass in his neck, so I am not sure it will be totally the same experience. He was going to have another one right before surgery, but he was too upset and screaming to stay still so they forwent it. So, both times no dye for us.

On a side note, from the CT Scan the surgeon did tell us that my ds needed to see a neurosurgeon at a later date for a separate issue they saw on the scan. It was a malformation called a Chiari I malformation. We saw the neurosurgeon and he said it is a fairly common thing that most people do not realize they have until it shows up on a scan or they become symptomatic. He said the main symptom is headaches at the base of your head. Just wondering if this is what they were thinking for for daughter?

:grouphug: I will say a prayer for your daughter. I know how traumatic the experience was for my little man a few months ago. My ds had a CT scan and he did not need dye. They were looking at a mass in his neck, so I am not sure it will be totally the same experience. He was going to have another one right before surgery, but he was too upset and screaming to stay still so they forwent it. So, both times no dye for us.

On a side note, from the CT Scan the surgeon did tell us that my ds needed to see a neurosurgeon at a later date for a separate issue they saw on the scan. It was a malformation called a Chiari I malformation. We saw the neurosurgeon and he said it is a fairly common thing that most people do not realize they have until it shows up on a scan or they become symptomatic. He said the main symptom is headaches at the base of your head. Just wondering if this is what they were thinking for for daughter?

That's it. The doctor said that since her pain is on the top of her head (as opposed to the base) he doesn't think she has the Chiari. However, he wants to check since they are doing the scan anyway.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

The neurosurgeon explained it like it was always at the base of the head, but I guess that could be left up to how a child interprets it. He also said it often has to do with the child coughing out (not a sickness cough) and then bringing it on.

It all ended up being not as overwhelmingly scary as we initially feared. I just pray daily that our ds remains asymptomatic. Anyway, if you remember pm me and update me tomorrow. I will be thinking of you and hoping you find answers and that your brave little girl is just fine!