acrosier

:hurray:

Me! I use and LOVE TOPS!!!

For a 9-year old, I'd say these three are "must-haves":

Corn & Beans

Radishes

and Electricity

I've had less success with magnetism.

If you're comfortable with science, you could do Analysis if you're looking for chemistry. It's a little advanced, but you can probably explain it to her and help her with the concepts.

Does that help?

I do and I love them. This year we used Electricity and Magnetism. We really liked the Electricity one and were so-so with the Magnetism. We did not do every project in the book, but picked and chose which ones fit our course of study and time available. It was pretty easy to do. I did order some of the materials from the TOPS website because I didn't want to spend time driving around trying to find the material (tiny lightbulbs, the correct size wire, the right type of magnets, etc.)

I also like AIMS materials, if you've seen them.

I just ordered 3 of them for dd11 to use next year in her study of Chemistry. I hope they are as good as they look. What else do you all use with them or are they enough? I know Ruth suggested Reader's Digest and I have that in my shopping cart. I am also considering World of Science by Master Books as a Christian reference book. Hope to be able to use theses in a WTM science set up.

I am a big TOPS science fan! I have used them more with my logic stage kid, but lentil science was a big hit.

I will be using Math Lab and Probability as a big chunk of our 7th grade math.

For 5th grade life science we used the radish unit. I really regret not doing the one on animal camouflage.

I didn't use any this year for our 6th grade earth and space science year. We are using CPO science and it is very hands on. I didn't need to add anything else. Well, as we near the end of the year I am wishing I had added in the Rocks and Minerals unit...oh, and maybe Earth, Moon and Sun. See, I always regret it when we don't use TOPS.

Next year will be 7th grade chemistry and we will be def. using TOPS. I have cohesion and oxidation and I might get one more.

For 8th grade physical science I will prob be using CPO science again, but I am going to add in TOPS units where ever I can. CPO physical science isn't very homeschool friendly and I know I can count on TOPS to help me out.

I am a big TOPS science fan! I have used them more with my logic stage kid, but lentil science was a big hit.

I will be using Math Lab and Probability as a big chunk of our 7th grade math.

For 5th grade life science we used the radish unit. I really regret not doing the one on animal camouflage.

I didn't use any this year for our 6th grade earth and space science year. We are using CPO science and it is very hands on. I didn't need to add anything else. Well, as we near the end of the year I am wishing I had added in the Rocks and Minerals unit...oh, and maybe Earth, Moon and Sun. See, I always regret it when we don't use TOPS.

Next year will be 7th grade chemistry and we will be def. using TOPS. I have cohesion and oxidation and I might get one more.

For 8th grade physical science I will prob be using CPO science again, but I am going to add in TOPS units where ever I can. CPO physical science isn't very homeschool friendly and I know I can count on TOPS to help me out.

What books are you going to use with the TOPS units for your 7th grade Chemistry?

I can only give you my review of the 7th-12th grade level TOPS (which I would NOT use with students younger than the stated age, BTW), since that is what we have used and I am familiar with. From past threads on TOPS, I have heard people say the elementary aged ones of Lentils; Corn & Beans; Radishes; and Electricity (gr. 3-8) were all good.

For a 9yo, have you looked at the Science in a Nutshell kits, or the Idea Factory Force & Fotion kit? (No personal experience with those). We liked a number of the Educational Insights Adventures in Science kits, and, of course, the Wild Goose 3-in-1 kits are great at that age. We also enjoyed:

- Science With Magnets (an Usborne book and kit)

- Science with Light and Mirrors (an Usborne book and kit)

- Gears & Pulleys kit (co-developed by the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago)

I really like these books: quick, simple experiments in all the areas of science (life/earth/chemistry/physics) that really work, with stuff you really do have at home -- you could EASILY do 1-2 experiments a day with these books!

- "365 Super Science Experiments with Everyday Materials" (by Churchill, Loeschnig, and Mandel)

- "365 More Simple Science Experiments with Everyday Materials" (by Breckenridge, Fredericks, and Loeschnig)

Not familiar with this one, but it looks great: Science in Seconds.

Hope something there is of help! Warmest regards, Lori D.

ETA -- because I know someone will ask about what TOPS are worthwhile for middle school:

- Rocks and Minerals (be sure to get the accompanying kit!) -- great for grade 6+

- Analysis (be sure to get the accompanying kit!) -- great for grade 7+

- Solutions (be sure to get the accompanying kit!) -- great for grade 7+

- Heat -- great for grade 7+ (BUT, be aware that the last half dozen experiments get into calculating calories, a high school level concept)

- Oxidation -- great for high school (too much of it requires high school level concepts)

- Cohesion and Adhesion -- great for grade 6+

- Motion -- great for grade 6+

- Focus Pocus -- great for grade 6+

I do NOT recommend the following TOPS units:

- Pressure & Buoyancy (too many experiments didn't work)

- Kinetic Model (too many experiments didn't work)

- Sound (required expensive equipment; some experiments didn't work)

- Light (too many experiments were not reproducible)

No experience with these high school level TOPS, so can't comment:

- pendulums

- weighing

- balancing

- floating & sinking

- electricity

- magnetism

Edited by Lori D.

Electricity (#32 I think there are 2 of them) is excellent. Corn and beans too. Metric measuring was fabulouxs as well, we did it along side Life of Fred Decimals and Percents. Weighing was fidgety; we were trying to use the scale to do the Density book, but it didn't work well. Density is good though. Get a Grip and Intermediate Lentil Science are also great, though Lentil contains all of Get a Grip; wish I hadn't bought both. Balancing is good too. Pendulums was fussy too...