Menu

DS says he HATES the colonial time period...

which we are slated to study for the 2012-13 school year. He says he doesn't want to study the American Revolution or colonists and pioneers again. He's not a complaining sort of kid and usually does whatever is asked of him without expressing an opinion. This, however, he has an opinion about!

My girls, however, LOVE this time period. Any suggestions for how I could make this study enjoyable for a boy who will be almost 12 when we start the new school year?

I just realized I posted this to the high school board. Any suggestions are welcome--I'll have 2 high school girls next year, but I'll post over at the K-8 board too.

Edited by ABQmom
wrong board

What would he like to study for history? Does he have to do the same thing as his sisters? He is a great age for doing some rabbit trails and unusual studies! Perhaps he would like to do a year of geography or the history of science or something like that.

Blessings,

April

What would he like to study for history? Does he have to do the same thing as his sisters? He is a great age for doing some rabbit trails and unusual studies! Perhaps he would like to do a year of geography or the history of science or something like that.

Blessings,

April

No, he definitely could go a different direction. I just need to think outside the box a little. History of science....Mmmm...I'll have to think more on that. Thanks.

Personally I can relate....I find American history so overemphasized in the US...

I don't know if you are following the WTM cycles?

There is so much European history going on at that time...or other world history..

If you are doing the WTM - then you can just let him stay in the other areas while your dd's do the US or were you just going to do American Colonial History for the whole year?

He could be working towards doing the AP European History or World History...

Joan

Personally I can relate....I find American history so overemphasized in the US...

I don't know if you are following the WTM cycles?

There is so much European history going on at that time...or other world history..

If you are doing the WTM - then you can just let him stay in the other areas while your dd's do the US or were you just going to do American Colonial History for the whole year?

He could be working towards doing the AP European History or World History...

Joan

We do follow the WTM cycles. We focused on colonial America in the early years because there is so much good literature on the subject. We all loved it, but after talking with all of my dc about it, it seems as though ds isn't the only one wanting to branch out. I mentioned the French Revolution and everyone thought that sounded great. So, now how to put this together. I don't like buying prepackaged curriculum for history--I tweak too much.

Edited by ABQmom

You know, we are using Time Traveler's History, we started with the Explorers & are now finishing the American Revolution & I'd have to say that the Colonial Time Period was my least favorite too, so I don't blame him :)

Perhaps its that the time period was just difficult - nothing to glamorize like with explorers & pirates or war ??

I'd still do it but don't plan it for too long, give it enough time and move on.

Edited by rocketgirl

So, now how to put this together. I don't like buying prepackaged curriculum for history--I tweak too much.

It seems like basically you would be doing the 3rd cycle - what is that called - Late Renaissance to Early Modern? about 1600 - 1850 (WTM) others might use different time periods?

If you have the Kingfisher Encyclopedia or the History: Definitive Visual Guide or Spielvogel or other similar World History books - you can check the pages for those for main topics...Look on this page on Wikipedia and it shows you what's going on around the world as well...

(There's a nice timeline in there that I tried to put here but it didn't stay in the post)

If you have Susan's book, it should help a lot....

Joan

But it's a little scanty in some ways....