Menu

Vocabulary from the Classic Roots questions

About how long does a lesson take? Is it a 10-20 min type thing? I am going to replace spelling with vocab as of 7th grade. I am hoping it won't take much more time than a spelling lesson.

Can it be used in a self directed fashion? My son is asking for more and more things he can do on his own.

If we do a lesson or exercise approx 3 times a week (could be 4) will we get through a book in a school year (assume a Sept to June schedule). Could we get through two? The table of contents doesn't look long and it looks like we might get through two....but that can be deceiving.

eta: Do I need the teacher's guide? It looks like there are some teacher instructions that might be helpful.

Thank you so much for reading

Edited by redsquirrel

The lessons should take 15-20 minutes 4x per week, perhaps 3 if you prefer. I also do a spelling test of the week's words at the end of the week. Dd has learned so much from VFCR, and I highly recommend it. She does it independently, but I have to check the work and check for spelling.

No, do not waste your money on the Instructors Guide. It is designed for classroom use and has a lot of activities and teacher presentations that you really don't need. I only get the Answer Key that you can buy for about $3. It's perfect.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We love VfCR here. Both my 7th grader and 5th grader can work on it independently. The first day I have them write that week's words on note cards, then they do the excercises for the rest of the week. Every other week there is a review or test. We spend 20. minutes at the very most on each lesson.

Don't get the teacher's manual. Like another poster said, the answer key is cheap and perfectly sufficient. Also I think you could probably do two books a year. We only do vocab for half a year. My boys started their book after Christmas and they are almost finished.