Menu

9th grade punctuation review... what would you use?

Dd has been taking a high school level Comp I class this year in 8th grade (outsourced), and has done well- has maintained an overall A average. Yet, she needs punctuation review. She has made mostly Bs (and a couple of Cs) on the essay portion of the Comp I class due to errors in punctuation. I would like for her to work through something specific that concentrates on this.

I've been looking at CLE 9th, Jensen's Punctuation, and Analytical Grammar High School Review. (She completed AG in middle school.) I need it to be budget friendly and something that can be used for minutes/day.... something quick.

She will be using MFW AHL which includes writing and grammar.

What would you all suggest?

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

English Grammar 101 has a free online punctuation module.

http://lessons.englishgrammar101.com/EnglishGrammar101/Foreword.aspx

The kids used parts of this last year. I remember a minor issue over a punctuation usage, but the details escape me at the moment. Probably it was a pesky comma issue.

It is free and very easy to use. Students get immediate corrections during the exercises.

I just bought a workbook for The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation and it looks like a really good quick review of the punctuation rules (and grammar rules) with quizzes. I believe a lot of the same information can be found online at the author's website.

I just bought a workbook for The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation and it looks like a really good quick review of the punctuation rules (and grammar rules) with quizzes. I believe a lot of the same information can be found online at the author's website.

We used this as well. It was painless :D

English Grammar 101 has a free online punctuation module.

http://lessons.englishgrammar101.com/EnglishGrammar101/Foreword.aspx

The kids used parts of this last year. I remember a minor issue over a punctuation usage, but the details escape me at the moment. Probably it was a pesky comma issue.

It is free and very easy to use. Students get immediate corrections during the exercises.

I like the looks of this...and the word FREE is really speaking to me at the moment. ;)

Thanks, again, ladies. We have done AG; doesn't it make sense to do the AG High School Review? I hate that it costs $20, but I also like the longer and topical sentences in it.

I've spent a little time looking at the on-line stuff, and everything I've seen has tiny, easy sentences... nothing truly challenging or meaty like you would want your high schooler writing.

AG Review is also something that dd can do without a great deal of time. This would coordinate well with MFW as well.

I think I'll show it to dd and also sleep on it. I double checked, and MFW doesn't have review for punctuation, yet it does include grammar within the context of composition.

Still :bigear:. Thanks so much!

I found a site when perusing TOG for grammar practice.

www.dowlingcentral.com click on GRAMMAR

If this doesn't work, just google Mrs.Dowling's grammar corner.

There are quizzes and more.

I believe I have also seen software just for punctuation on CBD.

We have relied on FLL and IEW so far.

We are just getting ready to use Rod & Staff English.

Then, Our Mother Tongue.

Edited by TGHEALTHYMOM