Menu

I bought a laser printer but...

JOHNNABONNA

I read that the toner cost is more than average. I bought the brother

HL-2280DW because I wanted to be able to copy with it as well as print. It takes the TN-450 toner cartridge. Did I make a mistake? Is there one that prints and copies for less? I can still take it back....

It's $46.50 on Amazon (super saver free shipping), and it's a high yield toner - 2600 pages. I will probably get over 3000 on mine. I got over 1000 on the starter toner cartridge that's supposed to be 700. I always use toner save mode.

Google on extending life of toner cartridge (tricks like shaking it and covering detector to avoid premature shutdown, but don't go nuts with it) and the knock-off toner makers really are just fine (check reviews) and cost 1/2 to 1/3 as much. They're all made in China anyways. :tongue_smilie: There's no reason a piece of plastic filled with ink dust should cost $40-50 and the $14-20 ones work just as well.

You get a lot more pages from a single toner than from an ink cartridge.

Google on extending life of toner cartridge (tricks like shaking it and covering detector to avoid premature shutdown, but don't go nuts with it) and the knock-off toner makers really are just fine (check reviews) and cost 1/2 to 1/3 as much. They're all made in China anyways. :tongue_smilie: There's no reason a piece of plastic filled with ink dust should cost $40-50 and the $14-20 ones work just as well.

:iagree: You can also reset the plastic wheel on the side. (I have a personal hatred for a machine that says its out of toner when its not.) Anyway, I buy the non-name brand toners, and they last me 1-2 years.