Menu

Port Royal, SC?

If you were going to be in Port Royal, SC for a few days, what would you do.

There's a small beach (Sands Beach) very close to the people we are staying with. I know we will go there to look at rocks and shells.

We've done the Parris Island tour and museum. It was great, but my 14 yo dd does not want to do that again. 17 ds is not coming, otherwise we'd probably turn that small museum into an all day affair.

It will be me, 14 yo dd, and 10 yo ds who has down syndrome. Generally, we plan around what 10 yo can handle. He does pretty well, but when things aren't going well we need to be able to just leave. I'd love to be able to take in some sort of park ecology or nature hike program because that is what dd really likes, but that would be risky. But places where we can go an observe and leave if we need to are fine.

Are there other beaches or parks we should see?

Indoor activities for rainy days are there museums or aquariums.

It is only approx. 30 min. drive from Port Royal (gosh haven't lived there for approx. 16 years, so I can't remember the park name) It is towards Fripp Island on the left. It is a National SeaShore.

Also, plan to have lunch at the Shrimp Shack on the way going or coming home from the beach. Awesome little place, hope it is still there after all that time!

The Steamer on Lady's Island is a great restaurant. Horse carriage ride or walk through Beaufort's historic district? Have lunch at a cute little place. Stop in to Fordham's Hardware/Art center. SAy hi to Duncan and Sally for me!!

Have a blast. That is my favorite part of the world!

If you were going to be in Port Royal, SC for a few days, what would you do.

There's a small beach (Sands Beach) very close to the people we are staying with. I know we will go there to look at rocks and shells.

We've done the Parris Island tour and museum. It was great, but my 14 yo dd does not want to do that again. 17 ds is not coming, otherwise we'd probably turn that small museum into an all day affair.

It will be me, 14 yo dd, and 10 yo ds who has down syndrome. Generally, we plan around what 10 yo can handle. He does pretty well, but when things aren't going well we need to be able to just leave. I'd love to be able to take in some sort of park ecology or nature hike program because that is what dd really likes, but that would be risky. But places where we can go an observe and leave if we need to are fine.

Are there other beaches or parks we should see?

Indoor activities for rainy days are there museums or aquariums.

You NEED to go to Hunting Island State Park! There are miles of beach, amazing tide pools to explore, a lighthouse to climb, miles of trails (including guided programs!), and a great little nature center. We were just there last month. The helpful folks working in the nature center identified the Great White shark tooth I found on the beach :D.

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/huntingisland/introduction.aspx

If you can get into Beaufort for a morning or afternoon, stop at their historical society. They have a restored mansion downtown with a nice tour. There is also a walking tour for Beaufort and Port Royal that covers some of the history of the area. We took it about 6 years ago and really enjoyed it. Check with some of the outfitters as well in the area. They can do kayak tours of the marshes. The house from "The Big Chill" is in downtown Beaufort if you want a look-see. You can't get in because it's still privately owned but you can peek through the fence.