Menu

Frank Shaffer "Singapore" books worth their ink?

SilverMoon

Would they make a decent supplement? I know they're not the real Singapore. I'm not necessarily looking for the real deal, or a core curricula. :001_smile:

My 8yo ds enjoys mixing math up with multiple sources. His core math is taken care of, but my shelf is running out of extras. He could spend two days a week doing "other math" and still bust through a whole math course in less than a school year. :tongue_smilie:

(I have a Zacarro book on the RR order. He's too far ahead for Beast, though I've considered just getting the comic portion for his bedtime stash.)

I've used bits of MEP with him in the past, and my 4yo loved reception. It shines best with all the activities in the teacher's notes that are lined up with the lessons. That's too much for a supplement, but to just hand him a worksheet cuts the quality in half. I feel guilty every time I do it. :tongue_smilie:

Ideally, I'd like a "grab and go" book for this spot on the shelf, but not something that's just mindless busywork.

Because I'm not familiar enough with the actual Singapore to realize which parts were independent. :001_smile: Thanks, I'll look those up! :D

Well, sure... if you're going to have a good reason... :D

Here's their supplemental math for Primary (1-6).

Rainbow will also carry the supplements and have some reviews, but it's worth checking pricing both places.

IP has some basic problems (some drill), some word problems, and some challenge problems.

I haven't seen the new CWP books, so I don't know if they're only word problems or not, but the old ones are very good. They have 3 examples and then a series of problems: basic ones and challenging ones.

The Extra Practice books have some teaching and then some practice on the level of the text/workbook or a bit easier than it. The advantage is that it has some teaching... the disadvantage is there really isn't much practice.

The Heuristic and Model Approach books are interesting. I've used the i-Excel books (which are being replaced). They do a really good job of teaching the bar model method.

As for Beast, we're finishing up Singapore 4B, so there really isn't much that's new in it, but I got it since my son adores comics. He read the guidebooks twice and there have still been some challenges in the workbooks. It does give a different view of math, so don't completely discount it. (Your best bet may be the CWP or IP books though.)

Hope you find a good fit!

IP and CWP can be done independently but the challenge level may be such that the student needs help in solving them. There have been a handful in the higher levels where I have the child just follow along with me as I solve them step-by-step. My goal with those is exposure rather than mastery. Some of the problems are similar to what I remember being on the SAT, but they are in a 4th-6th grade book.

The IP looks like what I was hoping the Shaffer book would be. Seeing how different publishers approach concepts intrigues him, and I like to have something I can just hand him that will prevent those days (grandparents, running-in-circles, etc.) from having no math in them. He's never left to work completely on his own.

CWP sounds like it would double the Zacarro book he already has coming. The Heuristic and Model Approach book looks interesting though! Along with those days he often has spontaneous math intensive days. Perfect. :001_smile: