Menu

Developing the Early learner vs. Rod and Staff ABC preschool

warriormom

I am looking into a workbook set that is "open and go." Deveoping the Early Learner claims that this workbook works on skills that can help raise your child's IQ...which makes me skeptical :glare: It looks like Rod and Staff Preschool ABC is inexpensive, easy for the parent and the kids enjoy it. Any thoughts on both workbooks? Is there any difference in the books except for price?

Any other recommendations for a workbook/curriculum that you LOVED?

We used DEL when my kids were in kindergarten, age 5. The skills covered are much more kindergarten leven than what I'd consider "preschool." The first two books are very easy, and the last two books are very challenging. I wouldn't say they increased my kids' IQs one bit, but they did help ME to identify their strengths and weaknesses.

We've never used R&S so I can't directly compare; however, I have several friends who loved R&S for preschool.

We use both. My dc enjoy DEL better, but it is not completely independent. Some pages are, but there are pages that I have to be very involved in. For example, a frequent exercise is for the parent to hold up an item or picture of an item for a few seconds, then hide it and have the child color the correct one on the page. Other exercises require the teacher to make sounds or read words in order for the child to decide whether they rhyme or are the same sound. Sometimes, you have to read a set of directions, wait two minutes and then have the child remember and follow all the directions.

Then, there are lots of pages that involve tracing, cutting, sequencing, etc. that don't require any help from me. R & S usually only requires that I explain the instructions (to a non-reader). We really like both, but I guess my favorite would be DEL.

DEL really helped me to see several problems that needed major work. My kids are advanced in some areas, and behind in others, and tend to compensate for weaknesses really well. I was able to pinpoint some weaknesses and really focus on them now, before we get too far along.