Menu

Celebrate Calm--anyone use it?

If anyone has purchased Celebrate Calm CD's--which ones did you buy and how helpful was the purchase? Is it turn around the home life helpful? Did it help long term? Was the benefit worth the cost? How practical vs. theoretical is the information? Would the techniques help a person learn to remain calm if they aren't naturally bent that way (adult or child)?

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

It would be a real stretch for us to purchase a CD set. I'm willing to scrounge around if it will make a real difference (I've got an emotionally reactive/melt down prone child with special needs and also a very strong willed "why" confrontational sort of kid).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I got the cds too and while it is interesting, I didn't agree with some of the approach. I thought the guy was a little too harsh or sort of demanding perfection. It rubbed me the wrong way a bit. I know some people who practically treat the guy as a guru and are always going to his workshops whenever he comes around (seems to be at least once a year).

I was no calmer after listening to the cds. LOL. For me the recipe for calmness (when I can remember this) is to get enough sleep, make time to do relaxing fun things for myself and make sure there is laughter and affection every day. To keep kids calm, maintain a consistent routine as much as possible and focus on relationship more than academics (even though academics are important too!). If only I could always keep this in mind! It always gets away from me and then I have to learn it all over again! And again. And again.

• 8 months later...

I bought a set of CDs a few years ago. They were interesting. They didn't make us any calmer, though! But I still think about his ideas from time to time. For me it boiled down to chill out when you deal with your kids. For example, he's really into coloring or exercising or playing Legos while you "yell" at you kids....haha...but really don't yell just talk to them. It's about being respectful rather than angry, I guess. In a similar vein, but cheaper, quicker and easier to do IMO, you could read the book How to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk. http://www.gobookee.org/how-to-talk-so-kids-will-listen/

And I would be willing to sell mine!