Menu

TOG Y2 - scheduling breaks question

Laurie in VA

Good morning! I also posted this on the Yahoo! TOG group but so far no answers.

My DD is LG/UG and we will be starting TOG with Y2, U1. I am not really sure where the best place to break would be with U1 and U2, especially. My plan was to break for a wk. (family beach trip) between wk. 5 and wk. 6 of U1. Is that a good place? I could always adjust a wk. one way or the other.

I also am having trouble planning U2 as it goes through Thanksgiving and Christmas. Right now I am thinking I will break between wk. 13 and wk. 14 and again between wk. 17 and wk. 18 - so I will do 3 wks. at a time for the 9 wk. unit.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or is it really no big deal where I break within a unit? Ideally I'd like to do all 9 or 10 weeks and then take a break, but our fall never shapes up that way!

I try to plan, but life always gets in the way. I will also be doing year 2, but we still have the last 4 weeks of year 1 to do first.:001_smile: We will start July 20th, though. I am actually taking it all apart and doing my own thing. My boys have never studied King Arthur or Robin Hood. So I am doing mini-units on those. Anyway, just look at the natural breaks and make it longer or shorten up to get those breaks in. It doesn't really matter. Take 2 weeks on Vikings if it will help before you start the next section, or shorten up Knights and Castles. And to be honest, your kids will either take things more quickly or more slowly than you thought.

Christine

I figured it out! I am going to actually start in two weeks, so that I can get all of U1 in before the beach. U2 will be completed by Thanksgiving. Then I'll break for Christmas (6-wk break, but 3 of those will be some sort of Christmas unit study). U3 will be Jan-Feb, then a break for March. April and May will be U4. June will be another break, then start back in July. This will work beautifully for us as our beach trip is always in Sept. Take care!!!

I can't tell you how ridiculously happy that makes me! We have 3 wks left of TOG Yr 1 to do - we just. couldn't. finish. And needed a BREAK! But I can't NOT finish the Romans, LOL!

Me too - we only have 2-weeks left!!

I only have 2-weeks, to pack up our entire house for the move, so there is no way it is going to happen. I finally decided we would just cover this material before we move on to TOG 2 in August.

Krista

I would feel free to break as needed for the holidays, vacations etc. I always try to break between small units-in TOG I would try to break between weeks. The lenghth of your break will determine how much review you may need to have in order for everyone to be back on the same page when you begin again. Remember that (IMHO) the TOG Unit breaks are convenient points (albeit logical and usefully timed for a traditional school year) at which to divide history-history doesn't actually stop and start. You set the breaks where you need the divisions.

During your break period you could have some period appropriate historical fiction ready for the kids or perhaps some videos. I wouldn't even worry about pulling from the TOG list, you could get supplements from here on the boards, places like Paula's Archives, other companies book lists for the period, your local children's librarian or any of the other lists out there. Another idea would be to use audio books or listen to the applicable SOTW chapters. Everyone needs a good book at the beach ;)