Menu

100ez vs OPGTR

rieshy

I took my ancient copy of 100 EZ lessons in to be spiral bound. They destroyed the book. Quite impressively- in fact, I wonder if the employee was a home school graduate with sour memories?

One last little one to teach reading to... I never followed 100EZ exactly but I liked the way blends were introduced as we went, not saved as if they were some big bugaboo. I like how open and go it was. I liked how I could not have my children do any writing with it- my kids all sem to be ready to read long before they are ready to write.

Problem is that I am SICK of the book. I've not been able to flip through OPGTR. Would it be a good replacement given what I liked about 100EZ?

I've never used 100EZ, so I can't speak to that.

OPGTR is a very sequential curric. There's very little prep, and almost no special materials [paper/pencil, or dry erase stuff; I can't remember anything else...]. It's also VERY scripted and [we thought] dry.

That said, my child was already reading before we started using it. I didn't start at the beginning, and we never finished [i switched to Phonics Pathways which I liked better though still don't love].

I don't remember how it presented the blends. I seem to recall there's a scope and sequence chart in the back, so you could see exactly how and when things are presented.

I have both 100EZ and OPGTR - basically I used some of the exercises in 100EZ to explain blending and see if she got the concept of saying things fast and slowly but I never showed her the book at all. Then I blended for her til she she could do it for herself. Finally I started OPGTR again without ever showing her the book and used it as a word list book to teach the phonics rules. I will probably never use either book as scripted with either of my children but they do both have useful things in them and they also both have things in them that I do not like.

The method of teaching in each is quite different - I think you would find it quite a different experience if you used one as scripted and then moved to the other.

I used 100 easy lessons with my oldest when he was 4 and I just pulled it out for his younger brother. In theory I like OPGTR better than 100, but my son loved the pictures in 100? The pictures helped motivate him togreat the stories. I covered the picture and when he finished he loved looking to see what the picture looked liked. He is quite observant visually and looked at the pictures for a while. I also liked that I didn't have to write anything on a white board. I could just grab the book and do a lesson in the car if my husband was driving, or outside. Lastly I think the vocabulary is much higher in OPGTR than 100. I don't think my son would have understood some of the sentences. In 100 he benefited from the comprehension questions at the end of the stories.

I also got 100 spiral bond and it was worth the money. Sorry yours got torn up.