Menu

Ds 8 (3rd grade) Literature (oral) narration

sagira

I usually only assign one chapter for narration, but this time since ds seemed so "into" the story, I decided to see how much he retained and let him narrate anyway. This is what he dictated to me :)

Literature: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh

Chapters 7 and 8: The Owl and “Go the the Rats”

Jeremy got to Mrs. Frisby’s house when the last inch of light was seen. He took her up in the air, and then started flying. Mrs. Frisby held as tight as she could on Jeremy’s back and lay flat on his back.

After a little while, Jeremy said, “Look to the left.” Mrs. Frisby looked to the left and she saw a bluish-green line that looked like a snake. She asked Jeremy, “What is that?” “It’s the river,” said Jeremy, and Mrs. Frisby was pretty ashamed, because she knew what the river looked like, but she didn’t know what it looked like from above.

Then they came to a big, tall tree that was old and dying. Jeremy was sliding down with the wind, and they landed on the tree, and Mrs. Frisby could see a round, hollow hole. When Mrs. Frisby came closer, she could see a white figure in the hollow hole. As they came closer, she heard a voice, a pretty deep voice. “Who dares enter my hollow home?” Jeremy said, “I am a crow. My name is Jeremy. I’ve brought a friend who needs advice.” And then came the deep voice again, “And who is this friend?” “It’s a mouse,” said Jeremy. “A lady mouse.” “What kind of crow would bring a mouse?” asked the owl. “She saved me from a cat, and now she needs some help herself. “I understand,” said the owl.

“Come down here, mouse,” said the owl. I don’t question people that I can’t see. Come in my house.” Mrs. Frisby thought for a little while, and then she heard Jeremy whisper, “He doesn’t harm people inside his house.” Mrs. Frisby whispered back, “I hope so.”

She went into his house. The floor was clean, but it was rough. Then she saw two big yellow eyes. She told the owl about Timothy and Moving Day. He finally said, “If you stay in your house, you and your family will be crushed, and if you go out of your house, Timothy will die. So either your whole family dies, or only Timothy dies.” Then he said, “What’s your name?” “Mrs. Frisby,” she said in a sad voice.

Then the owl jumped and got excited, moved around his home, then went straight to Mrs. Frisby, and his beak was only two inches away from her. And then he said, “ Mrs. Frisby, are you related to Jonathan Frisby?” “Yes, I’m his widow.” Then the owl said excitedly, “You must go the rats in the rosebush and ask them to move your whole house to the other side of the stone, to the lee side of the stone.” Without knowing what’s happening, Mrs. Frisby said okay. “Then you can all live,” said the owl. Then she started to leave when the owl said, “Wait, tell the sentry, his name is Justin, that you are looking for Nicodemus. Remember these names - Justin and Nicodemus, and remember “lee side of the stone”.” “Justin, Nicodemus, and lee side of the stone,” she repeated. “Okay, I’ll remember.”

Then she started to leave the hollow, hoping that Jeremy was still waiting for her. He was. She went on his back, and he started flying. He said, “So? Did he answer your question?” Mrs. Frisby thought this wasn’t a good idea, but she thought that she would get an answer from Jeremy to one of her questions. “What does the lee side of the stone mean?” “It means the calm side of the stone, where the wind is calm. My dad taught me that.” Then she answered his question, and said, “I have to go ask the rats in the rosebush to move my whole house to the lee side of the stone.” “The birds know that the rats can do things,” said Jeremy. “They carry all sorts of things - like for instance wires, pieces of machinery, I don’t really know what they’re doing, but I think they’re building a home over the mountains.”

When Mrs. Frisby got home, she talked to Jeremy for a little bit, and then he was the last crow to go back home. Then Mrs. Frisby went into her house.