Menu

Sensory-seeking behavior ?

This is going to sound stupid, but how do I get him to the point where I can leave the room for a minute without him doing something dangerous? Are there safe ways to channel that impulse?

No advice just commiserating :grouphug:. On the good days I have no issue. Malcolm will keep himself busy with his books, manipulatives, toys etc. and I can go in the kitchen and prepare food etc. and just glance over at him. On the bad days he is into everything, to the point where I am afraid to even walk away to go to the bathroom. He is also a climber, which is scary with all our bookcases. Even with Adrian in the room I am still afraid to walk away on the bad days. He even tackles Adrian when he wants to do his own thing :glare:. His weapon? He will grab Adrian's glasses and toss them across the room.

Oh, to add that I have been looking at adding sensory things in our home. Malcolm seems to need that. Actually Adrian does too but I did have all that stuff when Adrian was younger (we had a bigger home). Anyway, I want to buy some plastic balls to add in one of our small blow-up pools and use that with him. He loves climbing into toy boxes and even drawers that have toys and manipulatives so I think this will help. He can then toss the balls around without me worrying about him hitting himself or us on the head (he could be tossing anything from Thomas wooden trains, to metal cars, you name it, right now). I am also looking at buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-Lego-Compatible-Activity-Table/dp/B001FVRS0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332898635&sr=8-1

My goal is to use it as a sensory table, besides its regular use. I want to make some canvas bags and put them inside with various sensory things. I can then pull the bag out and put in another and use the bags for storage.

Edited by Guest

Since your kiddo is age 4, my answer is that I don't think you can. I think a good load of sensory stuff will help, but if you are looking at dangerous-level activities due to poor impulse control, then the answer is that you just can't leave them alone. You probably have to supervise him even more than your 2yo most days.

And it's tough! I have a nephew who could.not.be.left at that age. His sensory-seeking led him to multiple dangerous activities unless someone was right there to stop and redirect him. And he was FAST!

Time helps - and good sensory activities to "take the edge off".