Menu

Wow, did anyone see the George Lopez episode "Home Sweet Homeschool" tonight?

I rarely watch the show, but I watched with dh and the kids tonight instead of reading or playing on the internet. I have to say I think they nailed it pretty well with that episode. (I think it could be offensive to some though not really because of what is said about homeschooling.)

Angie is very gung ho about homeschooling Carmen (whose only other option is a Catholic school) and goes at it full force ringing a bell to start class, sticking with a strict schedule, making school lunch type lunches, calling Carmen Miss Lopez and expecting to be called Mrs. Lopez. The first part is very funny and I recognized many of the same mistakes I made by trying to duplicate the public school experience at home when we started homeschooling. I've heard other homeschoolers mention similar experiences and adjustments. George's mom even questions Angie's qualifications for teaching their daughter, and I think that's handled very well, but in a light, funny way as well.

The second plot line that fits in with the homeschool plot line is about Angie's doubts about what she has or has not done with her life. I'm glad the lights were off in the basement as that part actually brought tears. Yup, they really nailed it for me on that part too. I'm not saying homeschooling and being a stay at home mom isn't a worthwhile endeavor, but I know I am not the only one who has felt exactly as they portray in the show.

I was just really impressed that they got it so spot on for me and for what I've heard from so many other women.