Menu

Rod and Staff math grade 1- need opinions

Sara in WA

After teaching 1st grade to three girls in basically the same way, I'm thinking about venturing to new territory and using Memoria Press' first grade package. MP uses Rod and Staff math. I've used Singapore, which has been great. Just looking for some opinions about Rod and Staff math for first grade. Great? Good? Bad? Ugly? Would you use it again? Thanks!

After teaching 1st grade to three girls in basically the same way, I'm thinking about venturing to new territory and using Memoria Press' first grade package. MP uses Rod and Staff math. I've used Singapore, which has been great. Just looking for some opinions about Rod and Staff math for first grade. Great? Good? Bad? Ugly? Would you use it again? Thanks!

I have both the MP K and 1st grade programs. I use it for everything, except the Math. However, I have heard great things about R&S math for the early grades. Even if you don't use the math part of the program, the phonics and reading sections are well worth it!

I've used it, and am using it again currently, though both children were younger than first grade age when they began it. It's very gentle, effective, and my girls have adored the "class time" from the TE. I fully intend to use it with my youngest when he's ready.

It's not advanced like Singapore. R&S begins first grade with K level math before moving into actual first grade work. The first three years are gentle enough they're "behind" some math curricula, but it ramps up in the fourth grade book. If you use the teaching from the TE, which is the core of the program in the first three levels, these books absolutely teach understanding of the concepts.

That said, I'm not a fan of fixing what isn't broken. Unless you suspect your new first grader needs a gentler approach Singapore, I'd probably stick with what you're already using. You already know how to teach it and get it done well. This is from a mom who's never used Singapore and owns nearly all the levels to R&S math, and is teaching multiple children.

eta: You can see samples at http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com (a distributor).

Edited by SilverMoon

Although my dd is allergic to math, if I were to recommend one math it would be R&S for this age level--unless--your child memorizes facts quickly and gets bored easily. What I like about it is it is easy to teach, and it doesn't move so fast that the child's head is spinning. Material is mastered before new stuff is introduced.