Menu

RS to/with Math Mammoth

EmilyGF

Hi All,

I've been happily using RightStart with my children and do like it. However, it seems like something more written and independent might help solidify skills that seem to get forgotten. I guess we don't play enough games, but with four kids, playing enough games gets really time consuming.

I'm thinking about ordering Math Mammoth while it is at the Co-Op and then doing RightStart together everyday and having my independent reader work through Math Mammoth on his own at a grade level behind. A different option would be to have DS work through IP and CWP a grade behind on his own. However, I see the need for review of basics like 2894+4829 after we haven't done problems of that sort for a few months.

Has anyone done this? DS is an excellent reader and enjoys math very much. RightStart has built the math enjoyment, from what I can tell, so I won't discontinue it. Having three more (currently) in the pipe-line, print-your-own seems like a good way to go!

Emily

• 7 months later...

We tried math start for a short time (a few months) and enjoyed it, but we needed something more concrete. Well, at least I did. The games were great and would make a great addition to a math program, but we couldn't get it together enough to make it our program. We now use math mammoth and we love it. One of the great things about RS math is the mental math, and I think that is one of the strengths of MM as well. I think the combination would be great. It is nice to have some part of math that is not so hands on for the parent.

• 3 weeks later...

MM would be great with RS. MM is great for independent work and would reinforce the mental math RS teaches. MM has enough problems for reinforcement but not enough to be considered dry busywork.

:iagree: We use both and I love the combo. One ds uses them both on level, and the other ds used MM a semester behind (so he's just finishing 4B now and is moving into 5a by Christmas.)

I'm thinking about ordering Math Mammoth while it is at the Co-Op and then doing RightStart together everyday and having my independent reader work through Math Mammoth on his own at a grade level behind. A different option would be to have DS work through IP and CWP a grade behind on his own. However, I see the need for review of basics like 2894+4829 after we haven't done problems of that sort for a few months.

We use RS and CWP a grade level behind, and those are a great combination for us. CWP often reinforces and reviews concepts from RS while presenting a different "look and feel." I really, really like this combination. MM is a good match with RS, and I would do all three (RS+CWP+MM) if I wanted to spend that much time on math. My 5th grader already spends 45-60 min on math every day, and adding MM would be too much.

RS spirals at every level, so the review you are looking for may be there, just not in your current lesson.

I have found one problem/day to be effective at keeping up skills. In fact, that's how Level D and E do review of subtraction and addition. My kids haven't needed more, but you could add in two or three problems without going through another complete program.