Menu

Six+1Traits of Writing for 7th grade: Would this make a good spine?

I am trying to organize my "own" writing curriculum for my 7th grade ds for next year. I know what I want to do, but I need a way to organize my plan; I need a spine. After LOTS of research and attempts to organize my own ideas, I've discovered that my plan is very similar to Six+1 Traits of Writing.

I don't hear much about this writing source on TWTM Forum. Have any of you all used the Six Traits? I'd really like to hear about your experiences/pros/cons.

The author has this book available for middle school. I don't know a lot about it yet. I'm just now looking into the books to see if I like them.

http://www.amazon.com/Traits-Writing-Complete-Practice-Scholastic/dp/0545013631/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332773775&sr=1-10

Of all the school subjects, writing is the one that I feel most comfortable self-designing. Yet, it would help out so much to have just a little bit of help with organization. I think 6+1 Traits will be a good spine from which I can free-teach my ds.

Please share your experiences/comments about Six+1 Traits for use in middle school.... Thanks!:001_smile:

Sweethomealabama,

The book you're referring to looks very interesting. I also looked at the 40 Reproducible Forms book that was also listed on the same page under "customers who bought this also bought....". I don't know if you've looked at it yet. If you need help with organization that book looks like it would definitely provide you with ways to form a structured plan. Though I've only glimpsed at the samples online, this program reminds me of the way Write Source teaches writing. Not to muddy the waters, but I didn't know if you had ever looked at it. They have handbooks and graded levels. They are available quite cheaply on amazon. You can see samples at Rainbow Resource.

HTH,

Jennifer

Sweethomealabama,

The book you're referring to looks very interesting. I also looked at the 40 Reproducible Forms book that was also listed on the same page under "customers who bought this also bought....". I don't know if you've looked at it yet. If you need help with organization that book looks like it would definitely provide you with ways to form a structured plan. Though I've only glimpsed at the samples online, this program reminds me of the way Write Source teaches writing. Not to muddy the waters, but I didn't know if you had ever looked at it. They have handbooks and graded levels. They are available quite cheaply on amazon. You can see samples at Rainbow Resource.

HTH,

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for making the recommendation for Write Source. I've also been thinking about this book. A friend of mine showed me her copy, and I liked it very much.

I'm getting comfortable with using 6+1 Traits as a spine. I might also get Write Source 2000 (I think) as a reference book. I have IEW TWSS, and I'm thinking about getting Killgallon's Sentence Composing. With these sources, I know I can use Traits as a spine and fold in Sentence Composing, TWSS, and on-line stuff. I should be set. Thanks again!

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for making the recommendation for Write Source. I've also been thinking about this book. A friend of mine showed me her copy, and I liked it very much.

I'm getting comfortable with using 6+1 Traits as a spine. I might also get Write Source 2000 (I think) as a reference book. I have IEW TWSS, and I'm thinking about getting Killgallon's Sentence Composing. With these sources, I know I can use Traits as a spine and fold in Sentence Composing, TWSS, and on-line stuff. I should be set. Thanks again!

I think you could do it easily. 6+1 has mini lessons and activities on the different traits of writing. Write Source grade level books weave those traits through their books as they cover different writing genre. I would assume that is what you would do. You would come up with the genre and use Killagon's and 6+1 and the others for good style and, perhaps, TWSS for structure.

If you want something to lead you through each step of genre, structure and 6+1 style, that would be Write Source grade leveled books. But, if you want to do it on your own, I think you would be fine.

Try http://www.writingfix.com. I love the writing fix website and I use it all the time to do six trait writing lessons. It is fabulous. I also use the two younger versions of the Ruth Culham book. I really like the idea of using mentor texts to show students great writing. You can also use songs, speeches and poetry. They also make six traits reproducible workbooks. I don't recall the publisher, but I know they carry them at local bookstores usually.

Blessings,

Trish

Try www.writingfix.com. I love the writing fix website and I use it all the time to do six trait writing lessons. It is fabulous. I also use the two younger versions of the Ruth Culham book. I really like the idea of using mentor texts to show students great writing. You can also use songs, speeches and poetry. They also make six traits reproducible workbooks. I don't recall the publisher, but I know they carry them at local bookstores usually.

Blessings,

Trish

Thanks so much, Trish! I wonder if you will share with me how you use writingfix. When I tried to navigate through the website, I was not sure how I would use the site to help my kids.

I have the 6+1 middle school book in my cart at Amazon, but I'm not sure if this is the book that I really need.

http://www.amazon.com/Traits-Writing-Complete-Practice-Scholastic/dp/0545013631/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c

I found a TON of 6+1 trait stuff on-line too:

http://sutherland.cmswiki.wikispaces.net/file/view/Six+Traits+of+Writing+Handbook.pdf

http://www.blaineschools.org/Academics/Curriculum/6-traitmanual.pdf

http://springfieldpublicschoolsmo.org/pershing/middle/6thgrade/travelers/acox/docs/6TraitWriting.pdf

I do use the writing traits in a classroom setting for homeschooled kids. We meet just once a week. I have really enjoyed the lessons from writing fix. If you look at their menu, click on 'mentor text lessons'. If you scroll down you can click on lessons for different grade levels. I'll give you a couple of examples of lessons I have done from the site. They might be a bit young for your kiddo, but they do have older lesson ideas.

Amelia's Notebook - Used this mentor text as a springboard to show students how and why we might keep a writer's notebook and to get them more excited about the idea. Even my 6th graders caught on to this. Look at Corbett's ideas on the site of how to use a writer's notebook. Also check out Ralph Fletcher's books at the library. He has one about why writer's keep notebooks. Fun and inspiring for the kids. We use the trait 'word choice' and brainstorm words we could use to replace overused words, or work to revise our first draft to include better words.

I Wanna Iguana - Used this mentor text to show students how to write persuasively - so fun! The kids got a kick out of writing their parents letters (which also taught them letter writing format) trying to convince them why they should receive the pet of their dreams. You could turn this into anything your child has been asking for; ipad, computer game, phone, etc. We do a lot of role play as well with persuasion.

Take Me Out of the Bathtub - This mentor text is great to have the students take familiar songs from their childhood like "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" and turn it into a new song. I also used the examples of Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' and Weird Al's parody 'Eat It'. This was also a big hit for the older kids.

Owl Moon - Great sentence variety

If Not for The Cat - We wrote Haiku riddles with this mentor text. Fun!

I hope this gives you an idea. Take some time to explore the site.

Here are links to the books by Ruth Culham that I use regularly. I would go to the book store (Barnes and Noble) and look at them if you have something close by. Always nice to hold them in your hand before you take the leap. The guides have great tips on how to grade papers for each trait. It shows samples of student writing, which I also read to my students. (My 6th grader is in my class on the one day I teach, so I use this with him at home as well.) It gives activities and lessons to do with each trait. The third one on the list is strictly lots of titles and lessons to go with several titles for each trait.

http://www.amazon.com/Traits-Writing-Complete-Guide-Grades/dp/0439280389/ref=pd_sim_b_1

http://www.amazon.com/Traits-Writing-Complete-Primary-Grades/dp/0439574129/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

http://www.amazon.com/Picture-Writing-Scholastic-Teaching-Strategies/dp/0439556872/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Another book I love is 'If You're Trying to Teach Kids How to Write You've Gotta Have This Book' by Marjorie Frank. It is full of wonderful ideas on how to 'romance' your kids with words.

I hope this gives you an idea. It is not a full writing curriculum, but lots of wonderful ideas to get your kids writing with strong words, excellent voice, organization, etc.

Blessings,

Trish