Menu

What is the difference between Human Odyssey and History Odyssey??

My oldest is in fifth grade and we enjoyed SOTW the last two years, but I think next year we have to move on to something else, or at the very least add something else in.

I keep reading about HO. It looks like there are two somewhat similar "HOs" -- Human Odyssey and History Odyssey by Pandia Press, is that right??

Are they very similar? Wildly different? Can anyone do a compare/contrast for me, or share which one you prefer and why? Thanks!

History Odyssey by Pandia Press is for 1st-10th (so far) grades. If you read TWTM, it follows the history progression very well. We used level 2 Ancients and Middle Ages. The spine was the Kingfisher Encyclopedia. There was additional reading. You may read my review in this thread.

K12's Human Odyssey is for 7th-8th-9th grade, I gather. If I had a do-over, I'd try it. I always have a tough time tracking it down though. Here's one, but I swear I had a link for a way to get a look inside.

K12 Human Odyssey vs History Odyssey

HTH!

History Odyssey by Pandia Press are lesson plans, along the lines of the suggestions in TWTM for studying history--reading, maps, outlining,... There are yearlong plans for Ancients, Middle Ages, Early Modern, and Modern. There are three levels for each year: Grammar (Gr. 1-4), Logic (Gr. 5-8), and Rhetoric (Gr. 9-10, 11 & 12 aren't out yet.) Each yearly plan has a spine, a book list, and reading/mapping/writing assignments. You can download the first few weeks of any of the years or levels to try before you buy.

Human Odyssey is a 3 volume history text by K12:

Volume 1: Prehistory through the Middle Ages.

Volume 2: Our Modern World, 1400-1914.

Volume 3: From Modern Times to Our Contemporary Era.

You can use them as standalone texts, or you can sign up for the K12 online courses that use them, like Intermediate World History A, which uses Vol. 1. There are also Teacher & Student pages w/ worksheets and additional discussion and writing suggestions.

If you search the boards for Human Odyssey or History Odyssey, or "HO", you'll find a lot of discussion about both.

There is also a Spielvogel text, World History: The Human Odyssey but I'm thinking it's not THE Spielvogel text ("Western Civilization") that most people talk about on the high school board. I'm not sure what level the Spielvogel Human Odyssey text targets. If you see references to "Human Odyssey," they are almost always to the K12 text, not Spielvogel's, at least on the Logic Stage board.