Menu

IEW not EIW... oops :) Help with IEW level A

Well i posted on your other thread, but this year we did FLL3 because DS is 2nd and being his first year of formal grammar I wanted it to stick, and it definitely has. Now he can do Easy Grammar on his own which are short and independent lessons, and I will spend more time teaching writing with him. I think it depends on the age you are starting, and the level of independence. DS CAN be very independent, however I think FLL3 was very useful for his first year of it because I am sitting right with him discussing. He has retained everything we have learned thus far. He is ready for a change and we have both decided we do not want to use FLL4. I also have a 1st grader who will require more of my time next year.

We are using IEW and my fourth grader is using Growing with Grammar for the third year, and I like it fine. I think it is good if you do the lessons with the child to make sure they are understanding what is being taught. My dd(8) is using CLE LA in the 200's, and I am torn whether I like it or not. I like the grammar portion, but I don't care for the spelling or all the dictionary spelling exercises in it. I wish CLE would come with just grammar.....that would be awesome.

I'm using Level B, but the SWI's all teach the same units just the reading levels of the source texts is changed.

I have been using Junior Analytical Grammar, which we tried when ds was in 5th, but it was too much. Now in 7th it's perfect for him, and I'm fine with it being gentle. He's really grasping it, I think before this time he just wasn't ready for grammar.

You really can use any grammar program that floats your boat with IEW.

These are my main questions

How much per year do you have to spend on it?

Is it really as good as it sounds?

Does it pair nicely with certain grammar programs? What do you use with it?

From what I have described do you think it would be a good fit for us?

Really anything you can tell me about this program would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

These are my main questions

How much per year do you have to spend on it?

Is it really as good as it sounds?

Does it pair nicely with certain grammar programs? What do you use with it?

From what I have described do you think it would be a good fit for us?

Really anything you can tell me about this program would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I am using IEW (SWI-A). I think it is fantastic. Just recently I was thinking about how glad I was that I coughed up the money for it. My kids love watching Andrew Pudewa on the DVD's and don't complain about doing the writing assignments. I appreciate the way IEW teaches the stylistic techniques. I had been trying to teach my kids some of these same principles without success before I got IEW. If I didn't have much money, I would probably buy a different writing program(s). However since we had the money to spend, I am glad I bought IEW.

I bought the combo TWSS/SWI-A set for about $239 I think. I have decided to take it slowly and use it over two years. I added in WWW for the weeks we don't do IEW, and I also do WWE once or twice per week. I think the variety makes for a nice strategy in teaching writing. After we finish SWI-A, I will probably buy another program from IEW.

I use Rod and Staff English for my grammar which I think is an excellent program. I have my kids do all of the grammar exercises, but I only read over the composition sections as review (rather than having my kids do all of the composition assignments). Most any grammar program would probably be fine with IEW, though.

From what others have said, IEW has a great return policy. If you buy it and find that you don't like it, you can get your money back.