Menu

Jann in TX online math?

Will those of you who have experience with http://www.myhomeschoolmathclass.com tell me about it? I emailed Jann this morning, but she hasn't had a chance to respond yet. I'm all set to enroll dd at TPS and would change things around a bit, depending on whether she will take math at TPS or with Jann.

Anyway... :) , besides just general reviews on Jann's classes, how is homework handled? Do parents grade it? What is the parent's role in the class? Dd has been making As in TPS math, but I think Jann's twice-a-week schedule would be more beneficial.

Could you post jann's answers to the questions you listed. Thanks.

Sure! I don't think she would mind. My questions are in bold and her answers are in italics.

How is homework handled? Who grades the homework?

My policy about homework is "Homework is not complete until all assigned problems have been worked out correctly-- or the student has asked for help" (meaning requested a tutorial). I teach the students how to use the answers in the back of the text as a TOOL-- I rather they check their answers after every few problems or every section if the other option is working 30 problems out incorrectly and practicing a bad habit. I do like parents to have oversight in this--but the responsibility should be the student's-- especially at this level. [i was asking about Algebra 2.]

When students come to class it is assumed that their homework is complete-- if they have a question about one of the last problems it is OK to wait for class to ask-- I begin most classes with a homework question or comment time.

Students will submit tests to me for grading. I expect to see all steps worked out-- to me the steps are just as important as the final answer.

I limit the number of students I take each year. Tutorial times are available each week (no extra charge). Students can e-mail me and request a private tutorial and we will find a time that works (evenings and weekends if necessary). Quick questions can be answered via e-mail. I also have the option to use our online interface to create a 'recording' of me working a problem (step by step) and then send the student the link. Some of my strongest students will scan in a problem they have had trouble with and e-mail it to me. I will look it over and highlight where their mistakes are then send it back.

What is the parent's role?

I think it is great when parents take an active roll and support their student in the online class, but I do not think the parent should have to reteach the lessons on a routine basis. I try to be a cheerleader (encourager) for my students-- especially at the Algebra 2 level. I want them to be independent learners-- and to THINK about their work-- not just rely on a solutions manual or a parent to show them where their mistakes are.

Other:

I cover the same material in the 2-day class each week as I do in the 1-day class. Homework for the 2-day class should be completed by class on MONDAY-- when students come to class on Wednesday they should have a good portion of the Monday assignment compete--so they can table any questions. We work practice problems in each class (I pause the recording and students work out problems independently). I encourage students to take an active role in the class-- I hand out 'virtual' cookies when a student asks a good question- or if they spot an error in a problem I'm working out (sometimes I do this on purpose to see if anyone is paying attention-- sometimes it is an honest error).

The Lial text was written for block scheduling. Each lesson is roughly 2 days of homework. With 32 weeks of class, we will average 2 sections each week and complete the text by the end of the year.

More about the Lial's text:

Lial's Algebra 2 is a solid above-average course. It was written for community college students (so it uses block scheduling which is great for classes that meet 1-2 times each week). The complete teaching lesson is included in the student text-- so each lesson is several 'pages' long. The lessons contain detailed examples with the 'proof' beside each step with additional practice problems in the margin. The font size is nice (it is a large paperback text).

What do you recommend after your Algebra 2 course?

The majority of my students move on to Pre-Calc, and usually take it at a community college (since this is a college level math, most choose to take it for credit). There are several online and video options available if that is not an option-- I like the Lial Pre-Calc texts...

Edited by profmom